free hit
counters
Disappointment? - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Disappointment?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Robin,

I thought you'd be interested in knowing, I pulled the exhaust off the car and replaced the old kinked pipe that came out of my Magnaflow muffler. The shop that I had install the muffler obviously didn't care that this was a turbo engine. The pipe was pinched down to about 1 3/4"! I will take some pics tomorrow maybe. I could fit the old pipe we cut off inside the new mandrel bent 2 1/2" pipe and there was still room inside the pipe. Now she spools quite readily and feels as though she is ready for blastoff at 2500rpm instead of 3300rpm. Also, boost hits max, comes down a tad to 1.15 then climbs rapidly back up to 1.25bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hit the dyno again... Maybe this time the dyno will be working and my car will be working right too!!!!! It will be a few weeks as it is in the 100's this next couple of weeks.

Artie

Good that you figured out this.You will probably gain 20rwhp with only that "mod"....

A turbo engine like to have as big diameter and short pipe as possible after the turbo to get the best performance.

We get more than enough backpressure from the turbine anyway.

If you put on a 3" from the turbo it will spool up even earlier than 2500rpm. But now you have very good drivability with that early spool up.I got 1.0 bar at 2800rpm with the stage 3 I had.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

I'd do a 3" if the turbo exhaust outlet was close to 3". This seems somewhat pointless with a 2.5" turbine outlet though. I will live with the 2.5" for now as it seems to be working much better. WC engineering uses 3" off of the turbo but it tapers down to 2.5" after the turbo to the exhaust/muffler. I'll post results soon. I knew there was something wrong, just couldn't figure it out. Anyway, I'll play with my boost controller a little to see if I can get the boost more stable, but it is running very well. Matter of fact, the car felt faster and pulled harder when I fixed the exhaust than it ever has and I was running it on the hottest day it has been yet!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay, the same as in the new 997's. 911TT have this technology. Will there be a need for an electronic controller to control the direction of the nozzle in the exhaust turbine or will it do this automatically?

Artie

hey Artie

yes a seperate boost controller is required with inputs from the ECU

Garrett is going to offer something with the turbos

look forward to your next dino post!

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Okay, I took some pics of the crimped pipe that was strangling my poor 2.2L! You can fit the pipe inside the 2 1/2" pipe that I replaced the crimped pipe with! Can't wait to get some dyno numbers again! She is ready to jump now at any throttle position, especially under 3000rpm!

Artie

magnaflowmufflerandpipihh5.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot A400 at 2007-08-07

magnaflowmufflerandpipicr7.jpg

magnaflowmufflerandpipibv8.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

And these folks are professionals! Never surprises me some of the dumb things they do.

After I bought my car I found one of the auxilary injectors didn't have its connector attached. It was "lost" down between the pulleys. Luckily there was only slight damage to the cable. The seller proudly showed me the shop records for a major and costly service shortly before I bought it too.

I've been watching your developments with much interest and looking forward to your next dyno results.

DanR

Yeah, it's amazing what people pass of as "quality" work. When I first bought my car, the shop where the PO was having it gone over was changing the timing belt so I ordered my green dot cam gears. I ordered the gears and had them sent to the shop. I go to pick up the car when they called to tell me it was ready, and I happen to look in the engine compartment to check out my NEW stuff... I look at the timing belt and pulleys in utter horror and realize that the place I ordered the gears from sent the old HC gears which are square cog. This stupid shop didn't even notice and put them on the car. Luckily they hadn't started the car yet, what a bunch of buffoons!!! Needless to say, I never brought the car back to them.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

just waiting for the fireworks on the next dyno run Artie, based on those pics I think you'll be quite pleased. If it's very noitceable at 3000rpm or so then expect a very big jump in your torque figures.. you'll be able to gauge increase in power more above 3 figures or 6000rpm+

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Yes Jon, that's my thought too, she's much more eager than before and once this oppressive heat cools down, we'll be back at the dyno!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

On the subject of Dyno's my car is now producing 265 RWHP at 4,000 revs, and o.9 bar of boost, a misfire developed so back to the ramp to check timing disc as they think it may have shifted...... boost is coming in earlier so they think the turbo was just needing some use after sitting for 6 years... boost is coming in at just over 2,000 revs now and more gradual up to the 0.9 bar mark.... They're not goinng to increase the boost as they're happy with the results so far and think i'll still be looking at getting more than i initially thought I would get at the 1.2 bar I initially asked for, The turbo is good for high end boost so should give lots more and not taper off too much before the 7,000 rev limit, May even take it back a bit more by reducing the boost... only want just over 300 rwhp, SAFETY FIRST..... hopefully get her back for next weekend and run her in gently before the Hethel bash in september....YIPPEEEE....

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport