free hit
counters
Dash cam - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Dash cam

Is anyone here well up on where technology is taking the dash cam? 

I have been using two Street Guardian dash cams, front and rear, that did the job well, recording onto micr SD cards which were a bit fiddly to take out, but quality of recording was good.

I am wondering now if there are dash cams that are using wifi and recording directly, or indirectly, to my iphone maybe.

Any comments on where I should be looking will be appreciated!

thanks, Hal

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The nextbase dash cams with WiFi just allow you to toggle the camera to a WiFi mode to let you connect and download recordings, there's not permanent WiFi for streaming / cloud transfer that I'm aware of.

Off topic, even if there were, I wouldn't want it using my data - my cars WiFi is very expensive (its through Vodafone) so I don't subscribe but I do buy the occasional bundle so the children have some connectivity for longer drives.

I didn't look into it too deeply as I wanted to avoid phone data limits and also phone battery life issues.

I have two fixed USB power leads, one for each car. I move the dashcam between cars depending which I am using. If I want to retrieve footage, I take the dashcam to the PC and connect it via USB lead. No need to take out the micro SD card.

Yes, I take the point about wifi and data usage that I did not appreciate. One that sored the data and allowed access might be better. I will go into Nextbase and see what is there.

Maybe trawl around the web for recommendations as well.

I have Blackvue dashcams in my Esprit and my daily drive, both have Wifi and using the Blackvue app I can log in to the cameras to view live footage or any of the recorded clips. The one problem I have with them is that as my phone recognizes them as a preferred WiFi connection, if I try and make a phone call it tries to make a Wifi call via the camera which isn't connected to anything else! Same sort of thing happens if I want to use Waze or Google Maps, I have to remember to drop the WiFi Connection to the camera in order to do anything.

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

The fiddlyness of taking the SD card out of my Nextbase (non-wifi version) is a pain and has stopped me from retrieving interesting footage in the past - things falling from trailers, oncoming dodgy overtakes, random stuff). The maximum storage of 32Gb only stores enough for about 2 hours depending on the video setting, so it's easy to forget and things get overridden before you remember! 

I'm waiting for a version of dashcam that automatically syncs to the cloud or home NAS using my home wifi when I get home obviously.

Signature not working...