free hit
counters
Best way of draining the fuel tanks? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Best way of draining the fuel tanks?

What is the cleanest way to drain the fuel tanks? 

I am finally going to replace the pipe an the hoses between the tanks and now is suitable time, because there is only about 8 litres left In the tanks, I suppose. 

"Older I get, faster I was"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Access is extremely limited.  For broken studs, you are better placed to remove the engine.

Remove the hose connection to the cross-pipe and let the tanks bleed out.  They are the lowest point.  You will only be left with the fuel in the pump recess on the RH tank. Those are all parts t

Do it in a very well ventilated space with no chance of exposing vapours to any source of ignition.

Posted Images

Remove the hose connection to the cross-pipe and let the tanks bleed out.  They are the lowest point.  You will only be left with the fuel in the pump recess on the RH tank.

Those are all parts that you are replacing anyway, so easy.

Capture.JPG.a9bbc0825f7ad94d22a0d394174c4a64.JPG

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

Or take the drain bolt out the tank. 
I prefer mikes method though - much quicker and effective.

Only here once

Thanks for the advice. It might be a bit smelly Job, but hopefully it will not be necessary to perform it very often. The new balancer pipe is suppose to be corrosion free material.

I had a track day yesterday and now I am replacing the brake discs and pads too. And some other items too. 

I put a flexible hose clamp (eg: https://hilka.co.uk/3-pce-hose-clamp-pliers-12701003.html) on both of the hoses Mike has highlighted then disconnected one of the hoses from the crossover pipe and caught the small amount of fuel from the crossover in a suitable tub. I then got a jerry can under the car and stuffed the clamped off hose into it and released the clamp to drain the fuel from each tank in turn. Finally I drained the last little bit out of the offside tank using the drain bolt on the bottom.

Found that the easiest way to drain the fuel in a safe/controlled manner without getting it everywhere.

22 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Do it outside and wear a shortsleeved teeshirt....

Hah :)

I see now what You mean. 

That is done now, but there is at least 2 exhaust manifold studs broken on the right side rear, nearest the turbo. 

Is It possible to change them engine In place? 

The right side engine mount is also not In great condition. 

Access is extremely limited.  For broken studs, you are better placed to remove the engine.

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

23 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

I though so. Something to do in long finnish winter nights... 

I must do a lidt of things which to check when the engine is taken out. 

Any advice what to inspect while In there are warmly welcomed. 

I though the cambelt change to blue belts and checking the clutch are must. Condition of the heat shields another.