free hit
counters
Fuel tank breather issue - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fuel tank breather issue

Hi, I've had a long running issue with my Esprit I'm happily driving along when the fuel pump becomes very noticeable the car loses power and then cuts out.   Usually on a dual carriageway.  Least I get my steps in for the day pushing it.  Anyway yesterday when this happened with a full tank of fuel, I opened both petrol caps and the car started straight away. I have ordered new supply and breather hose and will repipe the system. I can't seem to find the flow lock valves for sale shown on the diagram.  Does anyone know where I can get these???? AND has anyone else had this problem.  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had this problem on my Eclat many years ago. Usually happened on a long run. (scarily, once, in the fast lane of the M6!) Finally found out that the breather pipe on the filler cap was blocked, thus

Flowlock valves are available from SJ Sportscars. If I'm correct, these are supposed to prevent fuel leakage in the event of an inversion.

I had this problem on my Eclat many years ago. Usually happened on a long run. (scarily, once, in the fast lane of the M6!) Finally found out that the breather pipe on the filler cap was blocked, thus building up a vacuum in the tank until the fuel pump could no longer function.(when I removed the filler cap, sometimes there was a long 'sigh' as the air rushed in. Unblocked it and it was fine.

Hope you get sorted.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I recently replaced the breather hoses on my '85 TE. Assuming it is the same WSM, the plastic breather hose connects to a spigot joining a rubber? hose which then connects to the tank(s). the small locking jubilee style clip was situated behind the metal bracing - and took some fettling to allow enough space the undo the jubilee clip. As for the flow lock valves(non-return valves), these are supposedly to stop any liquid from forcing its way up the tubing. I did not fit these for two reasons ... 1) Couldn't source them 2) I dont believe petrol can force its way around 2 meters of 6mm diameter tubing and around the boot lid. Even if this were to happen, the tubing vents to the outside of the car through the RHS wheel well.