Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anti-roll bar polybushes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anti-roll bar polybushes

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, Ekku said:

I had a track day with my Esprit a week ago. I noticed heavy vibration to the steering wheel under heavy braking. In street with light braking this did not occur. I have also had some vibration similar to unbalanced wheels on regular driving. 

After track day me and my mechanic friend did sort of yearly service to the car and changed the Anti-roll bar bushes to the polyurethane ones which I had bought earlier. 

It had a huge impact on cars driving behaviour. Steering is now go-kart precise and the vibration is gone. 

It is hard to believe how much improvement can be had for so little work and cost.😃

. . . . because it is a Lotus it is a car of the most sensitive chassis characteristics and that is why we are mad for them!

Cheers

• Like 2

On 31/08/2020 at 08:48, Ekku said:

me and my mechanic friend did sort of yearly service to the car and changed the Anti-roll bar bushes to the polyurethane ones

Hi Esa,

I'm interested to know, did you change the ARB bushes at the link arms or the ones which saddle clamp to the sub frame?

Or maybe all four?

Andy.

No, only the Anti-roll bar bushes. I am considering now to change the rest, but I am not sure if that is necessary or beneficial considering the street driving. Opinions welcomed. 

"Older I get, faster I was"

If they are original bushes then at nearly 30 years old they are probably not anywhere near as good as they were back in 1998, same is probably true if they are even half that age, that would be my argument for replacing them. I'd only recommend replacing with the Lotus designed poly bushes since those were designed to give the car the handling characteristics of the original parts, not to make it harsher etc.

On 31/08/2020 at 08:48, Ekku said:

It had a huge impact on cars driving behaviour.

Hi Esa,

With the vibration now cured, it sounds like your old ARB bushes were the issue.

It would be well worth checking the front geometry now though.

The front suspension may have been adjusted a few times over the years with the deteriorating front bushes in place.

Now you have new poly bushes installed, the front geometry will likely have altered.

Unknown caster and toe alteration may be contributing to the new "go cart" like feel which may not be entirely a good sign.

Regards,

Andy.

I have booked the time for geometry check. I had it checked 2 years ago, but better to be sure everything is In order. 

• Like 2

"Older I get, faster I was"

• 2 years later...

FYI:

Have installed the thicker 17mm ARB and poly bushings on my S4s.

S350' ARB, PN# A082C4254F, 17mm dia  is available from SJ SportCars UK, high quality repro part. Easy installation.

OMG, what a difference in handling! Enjoying ride like "on rails" very much.
No leaning in corners and did not experience any noticeable oversteer. image.gif.4d2e8b4f5eb9f3299a53cc00bd223961.gifimage.gif.e80bedc592b3f117981c2dd3689d3498.gifimage.gif.c5af02cb60100601b4bbda5b6c6fe6c9.gif

Note: my rr springs were upgraded from 256 to 275 lb/in. Both mods are working together quite well.

Is 96 V8  245lb/in front and 274ln/in rear?

MrDangerUS

The V8 spring rates are different for selected models.  Interestingly, the front springs are typically higher rates than the rears.   This is consistent with the racing versions of the 4-cylinder.

e.g.  Sport 350: F350    R314

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica