free hit
counters
Exhaust bypass valve behavior in Sports mode - tick sound at 2.5k RPM - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Exhaust bypass valve behavior in Sports mode - tick sound at 2.5k RPM

I've noticed a tick/hiss sound that happens at about 2500 rpm which i can only hear with windows open. Today I realised it's the same sound I get when press the sport button while at idle which makes me think it's the exhaust bypass valve solenoid opening - except I hear it in Sports mode when the valve is already open.  Is that possible or is the noise going to be something different but similar, e.g. an IPS solenoid?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So to add to my comment above (as I am not sure it is clear) - Sports Mode does not open the valve all the time. It is open at idle (closed when not in Sports mode) and open above 2400rpm (it doesn’t

So not just me which is good.. but perhaps only Carbon Grey 2013 Evora S Sports Racers in Hertfordshire.  I wondered if that was me replying to myself for a minute :-). Reindeer.. is yours an IPS

So not just me which is good.. but perhaps only Carbon Grey 2013 Evora S Sports Racers in Hertfordshire.  I wondered if that was me replying to myself for a minute :-).

Reindeer.. is yours an IPS?  If not that would eliminate gearbox solenoids for me.

• Like 1
On 31/08/2020 at 19:59, Spanky3 said:

I've noticed a tick/hiss sound that happens at about 2500 rpm which i can only hear with windows open. Today I realised it's the same sound I get when press the sport button while at idle which makes me think it's the exhaust bypass valve solenoid opening - except I hear it in Sports mode when the valve is already open.  Is that possible or is the noise going to be something different but similar, e.g. an IPS solenoid?

Thanks

In sports mode the valve opens at idle - you will hear it close again as you pull away - and it opens again at approx 2400rpm.

Edited by mik
4 hours ago, Spanky3 said:

So not just me which is good.. but perhaps only Carbon Grey 2013 Evora S Sports Racers in Hertfordshire.  I wondered if that was me replying to myself for a minute :-).

Reindeer.. is yours an IPS?  If not that would eliminate gearbox solenoids for me.

I'll keep an eye out!

Mine is manual......

So to add to my comment above (as I am not sure it is clear) - Sports Mode does not open the valve all the time. It is open at idle (closed when not in Sports mode) and open above 2400rpm (it doesn’t open til later in the rev range when not in Sports mode). 

If you keep your window open during low speed manouvering you will hear the valve chuffing away like Darth Vader as it opens when you stop, and closes whenever you are moving slowly.

I wish there was a setting where the valve was open all the time - you can apparently plug the vac line but I haven’t tried this.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, mik said:

"Chuffing away like Darth Vader"

🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, mik said:

So to add to my comment above (as I am not sure it is clear) - Sports Mode does not open the valve all the time. It is open at idle (closed when not in Sports mode) and open above 2400rpm (it doesn’t open til later in the rev range when not in Sports mode). 

If you keep your window open during low speed manouvering you will hear the valve chuffing away like Darth Vader as it opens when you stop, and closes whenever you are moving slowly.

I wish there was a setting where the valve was open all the time - you can apparently plug the vac line but I haven’t tried this.

That explains exactly what I'm hearing. I'd assumed Sports mode left the bypass open, not that it opened, it, closed it and then opened it again.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.