free hit
counters
New owner with questions! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New owner with questions!

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for a few weeks and PMing some of you but not really posted yet. This really is a great and helpful forum compared to some I’ve frequented in my time!

I’ve been eyeing up Evoras since they were launched but only got round to driving one a couple of weeks ago (a GT410 Sport). It was SENSATIONAL. And at that point I was kind of done.

Couldnt really stretch to a new one though, so have ended up with this lovely 2011 S. Thought I was after an N/A but this one was a cracker.

Some questions:

(1) Reversing camera and subwoofer don’t seem to work. Might as well switch out the Alpine for something with CarPlay before trying to sort those out. 

Would this be a good idea? If not what else? And do I need a special Lotus lead? Where would I get that from?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193642296482

(2) The sports exhaust is ok on the car but not a patch on the one on the 410. And that exhaust was half the fun. 
Am I right in thinking that 2bular is the preferred choice? Are they noisy at cruise (80mph)? Ideally I’d have a rorty rasp on acceleration and then it would STFU once you’re at speed. I went in a car with an aftermarket exhaust recently (not 2bular) and it was just a bit too loud at cruise for a car that’s so bloody good at it.

(3) Barge boards are great, but I found a thread saying you’re looking at £650 from a dealer and previous suppliers may not still have any. Anyone know the latest on this?

Thanks so much and I’m sure I’ll have more questions imminently!

D76A663A-B16C-437D-A2A2-1CA6FDDC2D8D.jpeg

28C4E992-EC7D-4735-B1CE-CE9ED57FD551.jpeg

B56FED23-9092-4960-AEC7-C052E144811D.jpeg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are three (two strapped to the side of the engine in the headers, and a third before the exhaust. You can get new headers and drop those two cats and replace the 3rd with a sports cat. The sport

Welcome and congratulations!  I've got a 2011 S and have enjoyed miles of smiles with it, hope you have the same. On the exhaust, I removed the 3rd cat and replaced with a straight through pipe -

Hi all, I’ve been lurking for a few weeks and PMing some of you but not really posted yet. This really is a great and helpful forum compared to some I’ve frequented in my time! I’ve been eye

Posted Images

Thought of another one:

(4) As an alternative to changing the exhaust, to what degree does adding a CAI make a difference on an S? Any currently in production that are recommended? I found an old thread talking about importing one for £500+, not sure if that’s still the best option. 

• Gold FFM

There’s a stack of info and owners experience of the various exhausts used in the Evora 

maybe the CAi route will give you the 410 likeness ? Again there’s some threads regarding sorry I can’t give you comment as not tech 

on the barge boards I was lucky a local guy who had motorsports and lotus background fabricated some I managed to get his last set for a snip and he fitted them for me, but he retired from that line of work.

some here have said barge boards do little for performance and end up harbouring dirt however for me they add a nice finishing touch to side view of the car but that’s my personal opinion 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Barge boards attract dust and shit like nothing else on the car. A bugger to keep clean. Though they do look great, they add no performance benefit in my humble opinion.

Re the ICE, try JOYING!  Yes, a Chinese brand but several owners on here have used them and reported no issues and they have full Android/Apple car support with the option of DAB, reversing camera's etc.

A 2bular will be louder but the important thing is it will not "drone" at motorway speeds, some aftermarket ones do. An expensive mod, but free's up some HP and noise (lovely popping on the over run) is the 2bular headers mated to the Lotus sport exhaust. You need the headers plus a 200 Cell sport cat. Not cheap but great!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Bloke in Halfords did mine. I sat next to him to make sure he was being careful :lol:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Was he spotty and looked like he'd only just left school? If so, he may have been one of the guys in there who served me....!

I used some local guys in the town near me. They had no issues whatsoever when taking out the single DIN Alpine in my NA and replacing it with a double DIN unit with reversing camera.

I think some of the people who have had the wiring issues are hobbyists blagging it!  :sofa:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

43 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

So there’s no need for a special Lotus cable then if I get a generic double DIN unit?

It'll need a few wires swapping around to get it to work, they're all different I think. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

A 2bular will be louder but the important thing is it will not "drone" at motorway speeds, some aftermarket ones do

My 2bular (non valved) did drone below ~2200rpm and that was annoying when cruising.  I don't think the valved option would have done that so while I saved weight and cost on the purchase and it was truly epic when revving it out I did ruin is cruising ability (even at 60-70 on the motorway).  I've got long term 50mph m/way roadworks where I live at the moment so it really was a pain in the backside!

As you're MY11, then you could also decat it which will free up noise for sure!

Congrats on the new car though, you are going to love it!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

There are three (two strapped to the side of the engine in the headers, and a third before the exhaust. You can get new headers and drop those two cats and replace the 3rd with a sports cat. The sports cat on it's own will get you through the MOT.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The first two are pre-cats and all you 'actually' need to pass MOT etc etc, the 3rd was dropped in MY12 so you don't need to replace it.  That link you've got above from 2bular is spot on, I'd say its the cheapest and easiest first step.

After that then you can consider backbox and / or manifold like Andy suggests; if you do that then you'll lose the pre-cats so will need a sports cat - which 2bular provide.  One of my friends has an Exige with the full system and it's really good - his is the valved exhaust which is distinctly quieter at low speed than mine was!  The 100mm carbon tips are also really really nice, much better than the S' single trapezium one (IMHO of course!)

• Like 1

Hi there - congrats on the purchase..

Regarding the head unit.

I'm not sure if all evoras are the same size (mine is a launch edition), but when i went for my first android unit, the screen was too big to fit in the aluminium surround/bezel  - so had to be positioned carefully underneath, which was hard with just a 2mm overlap!

If your's is the same, then ideally you need something that has a screen that's 174mm wide and not 178mm.

In the end i went for an ATOTO unit as they cater for several sizes with different bezel arrangements - it's 174mm as standard and fits perfectly.

Just my 2p, but might save a bit of frustration.!

Enjoy..!

• Like 1

Welcome and congratulations!  I've got a 2011 S and have enjoyed miles of smiles with it, hope you have the same.

On the exhaust, I removed the 3rd cat and replaced with a straight through pipe - either 2bular or Larini is fine.  It's a fairly common mod and may already have been done to your car.  Still meets UK emissions and track day noise limits.  Gives you essentially the same sound as the post MY12 model S1s, which is fine for me.  It's not as well developed a sound as the 410 but only costs a few hundred pounds.

Here are a couple of videos I did after the decat 

• Like 2