free hit
counters
E85 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A follow up on this, and a note to anyone who, for whatever reason, wishes to make a flex-fuel conversion in France to use E85 - it is illegal. Yes illegal! Yes, it is perfectly possible and ther

Have you given any thought as to how you will adjust for flex fuel?

I doubt very much if Lotua have included the Toyota flex option in the ECU, (I have asked but no reply yet) and not sure if it is best to map the engine accordingly or fit an off the shelf flex fuel kit.

Forget the original ECU. Cheapest and maybe easiest is to use a piggy back ECU with built in flex fuel functionality. I was looking at Greddy, or AEM, (don't remember) two years ago, but went for the ECU Master EMU Black. ECU + wire loom is quite a bit more money (4x) than piggy back unit, but given that the standalone ECU works, then it is much more plug and play. With the piggy back, you need to tap into the original ECU wires, or contacts, by your own. If you search internet for "E85 piggy back", then you find a lot of alternatives. By doing so, you keep all the original ECU functionality. So, a lot of pros and cons.

But, besides that, you need the flex fuel sensor (100+€), a bigger Ethanol compatible fuel pump (150 €) and probably bigger fuel injectors (500 €). I have sourced a set of 775 cc injectors with adaptors for the Toyota/Denso contacts. Monkey Wrench Racing have all the components you need.

You are going for full optimisation of the power you can get from E85.

At this stage I am only looking at converting for economical reasons. We have E85 at our local pump at 65 cents/litre. Even allowing for the increased consumption, it is half the price of E10. So I am only looking at piggy backed ECUs at this point. If I really get into the Evora and do a track day or two, then maybe I will take it further.

It really is pointless increasing power for road use in France. We cannot compete with the increased use of radar and now, unmarked mobile radar cars! I hope it is not as bad in Sweden yet!

Ok, if you are only after a pure conversion, the only thing you have to change is the fuel pump, for two reasons. It is not specified for E85 and is then likely to fail. Secondly, it is rated 140 L/h and if you use Deatschwerks' online guide, you need 175 L/h to safely supply the standard 350 hp.

I actually became a bit curious about what there is on the market right now and found a Swedish company "eFlexFuel" who have plug and play solutions for the Evora NA and the 4-cyl Exige. A kit is 399 €! Not that bad. I guess they have partners in other countries, given that their webpage is partly available French etc and have a whole lot of models listed that I wouldn't expect.

You will find that eFlexFuel is all over Europe alongside a few others, all of whom offer a conversion for the Evora V6 that happens to be the same p/n for the Camry etc! I will use one of these to start and then upgrade if I decide to be competitive. 

Interesting what you say about the fuel pump though. But if needs be, I will change it. Where is it located? (I have only had the car a few days...)

I'm assuming the fuel pump is located and in the fuel tank and I believe fuel tank is under the rear seats in 2+2 or parcel shelf in the 2+0 version.

I've not had to access it before so no idea how thats done.  But I'd hope you could access it by removing the rear seats/trim.  Rather than having to take the under tray off and dropping the tank from below?  

I do not think the Camry tune will exceed the fuel flow the pump can provide, but I wouldn't go very high in boost with such an arrangement. Maybe a progressive fuel pressure regulator could cure it, or limit the boost by adjusting the recirculation valve setting. Like one can do with the waste gate on a turbo charger, same principle. If you know someone with a wide band lambda sensor, I would use that during a test ride.

• 1 month later...

A follow up on this, and a note to anyone who, for whatever reason, wishes to make a flex-fuel conversion in France to use E85 - it is illegal. Yes illegal!

Yes, it is perfectly possible and there are some respected kits out there, all with an engine guarantee, but France has a rule that anything over 14hp administrative cannot use E85! The Evora is 25hp.

There is however something in the wings saying that this might be overturned in the near future.

• Sad 1