free hit
counters
Valve on exhaust doesn't open, ideas? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Valve on exhaust doesn't open, ideas?

Any ideas on why the valve on the exhaust won't work in this case below? 

When the button on the steering column is pressed it shows valve open valve closed in the display but no action on the valve itself. However when it is tested with the computer and dealer software it does work in full. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your exhaust system is made up of: Manifolds Downpipe Link pipe Backbox As standard, the OEM car has quite restrictive manifolds with the cat inside them. When KT modified my car, they

The valve issue wasn't really an issue at the end of the day. The mechanic misunderstood the working of this on an early v6 (vs later models) at different settings and revs.  The new valved exhau

Agree with Dave, it makes no sense "it would work with dealer software" and then won't work when "standalone", other than being disabled in the settings (if that is even possible, no idea, Dave knows).

But, if everything used to work before, it really can only be one (or more) of four things (from likely to less likely) BUT doesn't compute with the "dealer software" thing:

- mechanical valve in the exhaust stuck / diaphragm ruptured

- electronic solenoid kaput

- vacuum line broken/interupted

- cabling to solenoid/other kaput.

The override is a simple switched 12V+ cable to the OEM solenoid.  (works, I have it 😇)

Edited by Kristof Thys

Thanks guys. I've never used the switch since I had a valveless exhaust so I don't know when it stopped working or if the previous owner did something with it.

Just got the message that the dealer has fixed it, will know tomorrow how and update. 

Solved, nothing to special.. 

If I want an even louder sound from the 2bular valved v6 system, which now rates about 116db at 6k revs, what could I do? 

Any ideas? I noticed @Kristof Thysand @GFWilliamshave quite a bunch of knowledge on this as well. 

I'm at 132 dB at 3k rpm at 1m distance 🤔😅 with valve open (but that's on a cheap smartphone app... The calibrated meter only goes up to 130 dBA)...  By no means scientific and those apps (and esp. the hardware) suck. But it is REALLY loud (and really quiet with valve closed 👍👍). Best of both worlds. 

Edited by Kristof Thys
15 hours ago, PJ said:

If I want an even louder sound from the 2bular valved v6 system, which now rates about 116db at 6k revs, what could I do? 

Any ideas? I noticed @Kristof Thysand @GFWilliamshave quite a bunch of knowledge on this as well. 

Your exhaust system is made up of:

Manifolds
Downpipe
Link pipe
Backbox

As standard, the OEM car has quite restrictive manifolds with the cat inside them. When KT modified my car, they swapped the manifolds for much better flowing pipes and put a single sports cat into the link pipe. This added some volume to the sound of the car, plus also made it higher pitch, which personally I think makes the car sound more exotic.  I have since replaced the cat with decat pipe, which added to the volume a touch (less than expected), but also added some big flames if you lift off from hard throttle at higher revs. A bit ASBO and it won't get through the MOT with a decat, but a bit of fun!

It's worth noting that there are mixed reports about mapping and changing manifolds/cats. Of course mapping the car to it is better, but some say you can get away without...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

I'm at 132 dB at 3k rpm at 1m distance

That's louder than a miltary jet taking off with afterburners from 50ft away!! :lol:

https://www.iacacoustics.com/blog-full/comparative-examples-of-noise-levels.html

15 hours ago, PJ said:

What was it PJ for others to reference in the future?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The valve issue wasn't really an issue at the end of the day. The mechanic misunderstood the working of this on an early v6 (vs later models) at different settings and revs. 

The new valved exhaust does feel to deliver a bit more responsiveness in handling, could that be? 

Thanks @GFWilliamsand there is multiple ways so it seems. Since @Kristof Thysexceeds a jet fighter, what first next single step should I take to get more loudness would you say? 

• Like 1