free hit
counters
Pimp my ride - '85 TE - thoughts please - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Pimp my ride - '85 TE - thoughts please

• Gold FFM

Hi "G" owners,

As I'm ploughing through various lighting issues as well as interior trim options, I had an idea - but thought I should seek good counsel from fellow G-car peeps  (and anyone else who happens to have an opinion...)

1) I'm replacing dash with LEDs

2) Exterior is now 98% LED

3) I'm re-upholstering the glove box ......

So, here's the rub ...   

Should I take the opportunity to run LED strips throughout the interior (tastefully !!!) 

a) Glove Box

b) Boot

c) Interior Cabin (e.g Footwell)

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who cares to offer same

Regards,

thebartman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

c) is the only thing I'd do, personally.

a) would annoy me at night with the light leaking out of the edges of the glovebox door.

b) was fitted on 90+ Stevens cars, and most folks disconnect the switches. Better to keep an LED torch in the glove box for when that socket falls into the nooks and crannies.

At least, LED lights won't discharge the battery as quickly as incandescent lights!

PS:  the interior light delay module depends on the resistance of at least ONE incandescent bulb to work properly. 😇 Don't ask me why I know that...

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I don't know if I'm unlucky but since 89 when I got it I've never had a delay to the interior lights on my 86 S3 they are either on or off depending on if the doors are open or not. 

However recently I had to replace the after market alarm and door lock relay control module which failed 25 years after I fitted them. The alarm I fitted as a replacement had a wire for interior light delay and so I wired it up to some warm white LED strips that I've stuck above the foot wells on each side. I left the standard interior light alone.  Because the LEDs take so little current, way less than the switch capability on that bit of the alarm, I've not needed to fit a relay.

This is what they look like, I'm quite pleased with the results,  the photo doesn't really do them justice

IMG_9247.JPG

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

@thebartmanThe LED strips had two wires on the ends, black wire to earth, red wire to the switched positive from the alarm which stays live for 30 seconds. The strips come in multiples of 3 LEDs, and are available in several different colours other than the warm white I chose.  The strips I fitted were both 9 LEDS long, which measured about 12 inches. If you order a strip which is too long you can cut them to fit, the strips have the cut point marked, you can't just cut anywhere otherwise they apparently stop working. The adhesive on the strip stuck very well to the underside of the glove box.  I guess you could do something similar using the door pin switches which should work the same and would be especially neat if the courtesy lamps  had a delay module fitted

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Choppa, your photo looks cool - lovely job. As my interior is red, I am thinking I'll get some red- LED strips and start with long lengths and trim down to obtain correct light levels. 

I understand the wiring for them from your reply (above) , just got to figure out how I can tap into the courtesy/door light delay for the power feed.

Maybe @snowrx can tell me how to link these up to the 4-way wireless keyfob/horn upgrade (from another post) 🤣 🤣

I have the wiring diagram, I just don't know where all the wires are physically located, so this make take a little time ... 

thebartman

• Gold FFM

Hi Choppa, sorry if I missed it but where did you get the LED strips from? I have fitted footwell lights to mine (LED bulbs) but also wanted to fit to the boot / engine bay. My engine bay has a light fitted already which is collapsing so wanted to replace with LEDs. I have found having a light at night to check any hypothetical mechanical challenges, can be useful... 

Just been out and counted them and there are 18 LEDs in the strip attached to the underside of my glove box and that is  the perfect length with no excess strip dangling around. You get 6 LEDs per 10 cm so I must have fitted a 30cm strip on each side and I was totally wrong when I said earlier that the strip I fitted had 9 LEDs, sorry,  I did get the length right though!