free hit
counters
SE gearbox change - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Was up at @Doulou 's today, swapping out his lovely SE's gearbox for a SWLC recon.  Fun times as one of the lower link inboard bush bolts wouldn't move.  Eventually got it to turn using leg power, but in fact it was rotating the entire bush in the link.  Not quite ready for suspension bushes at this time, so had to get a bit creative to get a driveshaft out and back in again.  Then, the horror!  It started - once.  Then wouldn't start again.  Checked live to solenoid, switched live from ignition, and engine earth - all good.  I hate coincidences, but Occam's razor tells me the starter/solenoid is buggered.  Unless anyone has any wonderful suggestions?  On a bright note, I get to do another suspension refresh.  Yaaay.

thumbnail.jpg

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That new kitchen flooring looks great.

I guess, in the process of being removed and refitted, it decided to give up. I'd fit a temporary earth strap to the engine (jump lead?) and try a piece of wire from the battery +ve to the soleno

Posted Images

Hi Gary,

Sounds like the starter will be coming off next.

Despite the measurements, I would be tempted to see if the starter activates using a piece of wire directly from the battery to the solenoid's ignition switched live terminal.

Andy.

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Was up at @Doulou 's today, swapping out his lovely SE's gearbox for a SWLC recon.  Fun times as one of the lower link inboard bush bolts wouldn't move.  Eventually got it to turn using leg power, but in fact it was rotating the entire bush in the link.  Not quite ready for suspension bushes at this time, so had to get a bit creative to get a driveshaft out and back in again.  Then, the horror!  It started - once.  Then wouldn't start again.  Checked live to solenoid, switched live from ignition, and engine earth - all good.  I hate coincidences, but Occam's razor tells me the starter/solenoid is buggered.  Unless anyone has any wonderful suggestions?  On a bright note, I get to do another suspension refresh.  Yaaay.

thumbnail.jpg

That new kitchen flooring looks great.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Mate, I'm at a total feckin loss!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Paul tells me there's no immobiliser.  Engine earth tested fine yesterday, as did direct feed and switched 12v, so I have to assume starter, but concerned about it failing to fire on the rare occasion it does turn.

Edited by Sparky

No, bastard thing's fighting me all the way.  And the bloody parts order still hasn't arrived!

Yup, I distinctly remember doing that.  However, we were outside in persistent rain for some time, so water may be playing a part.

I should mention that it did actually start once (not the first time) after the job!  The randomness does suggest water, but the starter definitely tests as a failure.

54 minutes ago, Sparky said:

starter definitely tests as a failure

I guess, in the process of being removed and refitted, it decided to give up.

I'd fit a temporary earth strap to the engine (jump lead?) and try a piece of wire from the battery +ve to the solenoid before committing further. Occasionally, a supply looks ok on the multimeter but actually has no umph.

Is the starer motor relay 'U' clicking when the key is turned?

Andy.

• Like 1

I've tried a direct feed from the battery to the starter side of the solenoid, nada.  So that sort of negates all else.  Agreed, might be worth an extra earth with a jump lead.

Evening all, I have received the new starter motor today but I am a little confused with the terminals. 1 terminal takes the 3 what I assume are live feeds leaving two spade connectors, in with the kit came a connector with a black wire which I presume is an earth which connects in to a specific terminal on the starter leaving one is the third terminal used if so with what as there is nothing to connect in to it?
I am no electrician so please excuse my poor explanation but any help appreciated 

thanks

Aaah, sorry mate, just back from the pub.  Not sure how it's wired in...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

The screw terminal is for the permanent feed (thick brown wires), one of the spades is for the wire from the starter relay (red-white), the third one is not used on the SE, but it is on older cars. It provides 12V (or at least battery voltage) to the coil while starting to give a better spark. Once running the coil gets a ballasted feed, usually 6V or 9V.

Not sure about the black connector, a small spade one is unlikely to be an earth. So be careful connecting it! It could be the optional coil feed. Are there any markings on the starter connections?

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

When my starter stopped working, it turned out to the be the chassis the engine earth strap. The chassis end was corroded really badly, I assume because of contact with the galvanising.

I know you're said you've checked this, but it may be worth running another thick earth directly to the starter negative terminal to definitely eliminate anything like that.

Posted (edited)

Starter was shagged.

Anyway, negative terminal?

Edited by Sparky