free hit
counters
Buying and driving 2000+ miles - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Buying and driving 2000+ miles

RDwyer

Hi all. I may be close to closing on a 2014 Evora S 2+2 automatic with 11,000 miles and a clean car fax.  If this were your car (picking up a car in the US Midwest and home is CT) would you drive it 2000+ miles to get it home (and enjoy yourself doing it!) or would you ship the car for fear of breakdowns, problems or putting that much mileage on it at once?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I bought my Evora I drove it home 260 miles. Yes, it was a concern driving a car that I didn't know or could trust so I joined the AA beforehand, just in case (Automobile Association with recovery and get you home option). The journey home was great as I had planned the route to give me the opportunity to get to know the car better on different types of roads.

2000+ miles is a lot more in a car you don't know so you are right to be worried, however, it would be a good bonding experience. The daredevil in me says do it. I do love touring in mine and, although I haven't done that may miles on a tour, the Evora should handle it without a problem.

They are built to drive and it’s about time that car got used :yes:. Enjoy it. So long as you have recovery and there is no outstanding work due on it. Perhaps plan to do a few local miles in day one to give it a shake down then set out for home day 2  

Book a couple of hotels and take the long and twisty way home  

if you want to be ultra cautious you might take a litre of oil with you, but unless it’s been under filled there is no reason to think you’d need it. 

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM

I would be amazed if you had any problems. Evora are reliable and an easy long journey companion.

Check the tyre pressures are correct and remember there is no spare tyre, so a tin of 'in date' tyre weld is sensible. Or two. 

What is a car for, if not for driving?

Justin 

• Like 1

Yes, drive it back! Just make sure you have breakdown cover for peace of mind.

I drove back, but it was only 360kms, a tenth of your distance. I initially chose the scenic route back, but was soon reminded that the French think that if they have two wheels on the right side of the centre line, they are legal. As the Evora is a little wider than the Audi I am used to, I sought a quick way back to the autoroute - where actually the French are still pretty useless drivers, but there is the advantage of wider lanes😀

2000 miles in an Evora, fantastic bonding experience, and one you won’t forget. 
I remember every journey home of my special cars. My Evora drive was only  90 miles but with lots of smiles.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Wouldn't worry about the mileage. It could do with some use, cars doing a couple of k a year often have various issues due to being sat around.

Think of it as doing the car and yourself a favour.

• Like 1