free hit
counters
'85 MY TE - Reverse switch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'85 MY TE - Reverse switch

• Gold FFM

Hi,

As the reverse lights don't appear to be working, I'm assuming the best place to start is wiring and a very corroded switch on the rear of the gear box. So I have three questions ...

1. How do I test the wiring (I can't reach gear stick AND reverse light wiring !!) ?

2. Is this just a simple case of unscrewing the switch and replacing it and a washer (sounds too easy - even for me - there must be lurking perils) ?

3. Is there a generic replacement switch from any Citroen DS(?) gearbox ?

TIA

Reverse Switch.jpg

Edited by thebartman
Added Photo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looking at the photo It may be just dirt on the contacts and the switch is actually OK. Also inside the boot there are some black earth wires for the reversing lights with bullet connectors on the ends that might need a clean.  I suggest you clean those, them pull off both spade connectors from the switch and give them and the terminals on the switch a good clean with emery paper or something similar.  If you want you could also gently use a wire brush to clean up the body of the switch. To test after cleaning and reconnecting the wires, turn the ignition on but don't start the car, put it in reverse and nip round the back and have a look. If you have a multimeter you could  check the switch before connecting the wires. No need to bother with the ignition for this, put it in reverse set the meter to measure ohms and test for continuity across the two terminals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

Also, connect the two spades together with a bit of wire or a little test lead (remember I made one for the door switches?). If the lights come on (with ignition on), wiring is OK.

Edited by Sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Sparky, I did remember, and have ordered some wire to facilitate (as well as a new crimping set with 700+ connectors which will be useless for a  G'85 🤣 - this is such a learning curve ... I love it ... 

Thanks to all for continued support/advice/guidance

• Like 1