free hit
counters
Automatic lotus more torque then manual? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Automatic lotus more torque then manual?

The American motoring magazines all quote a higher torque figure for the automatic version of the Evora GT410, however, the english lotus website gives the same amount of torque for both the manual and auto.  I'm surprised that Lotus would provide a different spec engine to the American market...so my question, does the auto Evora GT410 produce more torque only for the American market or is it that Lotus are being conservative with their figures for all other markets?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could it be the way they measure it? Theoretically, a torque converter multiplies torque to the wheels so if you do a pull from zero and measure the torque output at the wheels you will find that it's

Could it be the way they measure it? Theoretically, a torque converter multiplies torque to the wheels so if you do a pull from zero and measure the torque output at the wheels you will find that it's higher (at low revs) than a manual.

That's the only thing I could think of

• Haha 1

Thanks, not sure it refers to the gearing... the quote from Car and Driver Magazine "Every Evora GT features a mid-mounted, supercharged 3.5-liter V-6 that makes 416 horsepower and either 317 or 332 lb-ft of twist; cars with the six-speed automatic transmission get the additional torque."  So I'm confused as this is more than stated on the Lotus web site for the UK version of the Evora....Any thoughts on this?

Lotus did always quote marginally more torque for the auto box as that was the box that it normally came with in a toyota. The gearing is between the long and sport box of the S1's

Engine measurement so nowt to do with gearing.

My understanding is that the manual box is rated at 325lbs.ft, whereas the auto box can take more - so the map allows the engine to produce a little more low down. Same power numbers for manual & auto so auto GT410 is not producing any more shove higher in the Rev range.

On 430, torque figures for both auto and manual are quoted from 4500rev, auto 332 lbft 450Nm and manual 325lbft 440Nm

having read the 430 owners handbook (which differs to the sales literature), manual is 440Nm from 2600rpm & auto is 450Nm from 5500rpm

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Thanks everyone, so it is down to engine mapping to free up a little more torque....which makes sense but doesn't explain why lotus uk website gives the same torque figures for both the auto and manual...unless they are mapped differently in the UK(less torque than cars for the US market) and are thus mapped to produce the same torque with either gearbox.