free hit
counters
Where have all the hoons gone? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Where have all the hoons gone?

Hey. Think I joined the forum around 10 years ago. It was Lotus Esprit Forum (LEF) then of course. Brilliant. Just what I needed for rebuilding a crashed S3. Couldn't have done it without.

Anyway. I came to thinking over the last couple of weeks that back then, the forum was filled with invites and suggestions for the odd 'hoon' here and there. Some I could join, some I couldn't.

Anyway. I do love the new forum and it continues to inspire and drive me but I wonder where the 'hoons' have gone? Are they passe? Moved elsewhere? Has covid eaten them? Or perhaps waiting for me to suggest one?

Not a complaint. Just an observation. Saw 12 Ferraris near Newtown on Saturday. An Elan in tow I think but couldn't find any reference to any show. I thought. 'must be a Hoon!'

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Colin P organised an IoM "hoon" annually and not only were they really well organised, the driving was immense, the company was superb, etc.  Bloody fantastic and just would not have been the same on

15 minutes ago, slewthy said:

Has covid eaten them?

It's certainly not helped! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

My experience of organised 'hoons' is generally disappointing. I prefer a solo outing or with close chums who know my driving style and I know theirs. 

More than 3 or 4 cars of the same make powering along is not such a wise move. A Sunday pottering convoy maybe but if you want to be brisk, less is best.

I remember going to Le Mans with 15 or so other Ford GT. After 30 miles or so, I peeled off and made my own way to La Sarthe. One other followed me and we had some fun.

Justin

We had a lovely hoon on Sunday to Dave & Megan's; just like the old days!  Nothing silly, up to 10 of us enjoying the country roads in nice weather.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

• Gold FFM

@Colin P organised an IoM "hoon" annually and not only were they really well organised, the driving was immense, the company was superb, etc.  Bloody fantastic and just would not have been the same on my own. 

• Love 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Hoon is perhaps the wrong word for what I mean but it's generally recognised. I don't mean the antisocial-ignore-the-speed-limits type if thing but just getting together with like minded people and of course having a reason to drive somewhere.

Lockdown and the whole Covid situation has made me think even more about just going out for a drive. I live in Shropshire so have fairly easy access to some nice areas but find it hard to justify going alone. 

This time last year, my son and I were on the Fireball 007 rally in Europe and we had experience of solo driving, paired and larger group. All fantastic but I preferred having some company on the road.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I reckon 80% of the journeys I make in my fun cars are driving one or two up on A to A trips. The remaining 20% are a mixture of family visits, events (hardly any nowadays) and servicing.
I used to take part in some organised road runs, but they were usually spoiled by people driving like idiots or shear weight of traffic, so I give them a miss now.

Nearly all of my drives are just me. I had a great time a year ago on a North Norfolk Hoon with a new Exige and I found being 2-3 of us was much preferable to having 10-15 like the old days. We could stick together and we got loads of attention.

That being said I used to do all the Pistonheads Hoons in Norfolk when I had my Yellow Exige and they always had a photographer on scene to take action shots etc. They sent you the pics at the end as driving with lots of other special cars was really good. 

it's funny you should post this @slewthybecause I was looking for an end of summer season Hoon over the next few weeks. I really wanted to go up to Scotland and see the guys up there but not sure whats going on now with the whole "Lock Down" thing happening again.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)