free hit
counters
'85 MY TE - Electronic part "discovered" - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'85 MY TE - Electronic part "discovered"

• Gold FFM

Just cleaning out after the weekend's trip and discovered this in the footwell on the passenger side. I know it is an elecronic component - but what is it, and where might it come from and what does it do ? It is approx. 10mm long, and 5mm diameter.

Incidentally, now whenever I press the brake pedal, I get interference on the radio.

Are these two things connected, or is the ever-growing list of things-do-do taking on a life of its own ?

As always, TIA

thebartman

component1.jpg

component2.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you put dual-brightness LEDs in the brake lamps?  That could be the source of the interference. We had to change bulbs for the same reason.  Both our noisy & quiet bulbs were made by Diode Dynamics, and they were nice about exchanging them.

PS:  If you find the Pektron Inverter, don't EVER remove it...😇

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

There is a capacitor across the brake switch on my S3 to stop the interference you are talking about but it doesn't look like that. 

It's item #12 on the diagram P/N A074M6008Z Capacitor 1uF stop switch.

No idea what the markings on the capacitor in your photo mean. It doesn't look in very good condition and it can't have been doing anything if it was in the passenger footwell!  Maybe it was wired across the brake switch, removed at some point and never replaced hence the noise .

cap001.jpg

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM
51 minutes ago, CarBuff said:

Did you put dual-brightness LEDs in the brake lamps?  That could be the source of the interference. We had to change bulbs for the same reason.  Both our noisy & quiet bulbs were made by Diode Dynamics, and they were nice about exchanging them.

PS:  If you find the Pektron Inverter, don't EVER remove it...😇

Hi @CarBuff, The brake lights are not dual brightness. they are just BA15S, 5W, 12V, 6000K temp, and are quite bright.

I have these bulbs replacing all 8 of rear cluster bulbs. Now that the reversing lamps are tested (need a replacement switch - see another thread) I don't think this should be the source of inteference, as the wiring loom should have no "electrical connection" in any of the relevant harnesses to cause same. As we know, I'm not an electrician, or an auto-electrician, but surely even Lucas wiring looms can't teleport inteference across harnesses ??  please tell me I'm right before I start weeping :lol:

Just read threads re "Pektron Inverter" - this is all just stranger than fiction to the unititiated ......

Thanks to @Choppa, mine's a non-Fed '85MY TE, and the WSM wiring diagrams are way different 👍

So, UK G-cars have separate running lamps and brake lamps?  None share a 'normal' brightness (running lights)_ with 'intense' brightness (when brakes are applied)?

Sorry.

Are the fitments you mention LED?

+++++++++++++++++

All you need to know about the Pektron Inverter is that it was Colin Chapman's secret method by which they sucked the car to the ground... :offtopic:

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA