free hit
counters
Making a mess of changing the gearknob - help! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Browsed some of the previous threads on here about changing out the gear knob for one of the Elise Shop ones - seemed straightforward enough.

But I've managed to get myself stuck. The narrow screw on sleeve didn't want to come off, and has somewhat mangled the thread. This shouldn't be insurmountable. But how do I remove the existing lift sleeve (in order to replace it with the shorter one)? I thought better to stop here before I make too much of a mess or render the car undriveable...!  

Any and all advice welcome!

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a while since I swapped mine, but if I remember correctly, you compress those blue tabs at the top inward and the lift tube slides upward. You'll also need to remove the ziptie that's keepin

No way to adjust the gearstick length/height. And the new knob should have a setscrew in it as well, which is what keeps it on the shaft. The lift tube position isn't much different from stock, and th

Once you have made the change wait until you screw in the grub screw that holds it firm. Test you can actually use the lift action to get into reverse. You can screw the new ball too far down whi

Posted Images

It's been a while since I swapped mine, but if I remember correctly, you compress those blue tabs at the top inward and the lift tube slides upward. You'll also need to remove the ziptie that's keeping the leather boot attached on the underside. In order to do that, you'll want to pull the entire HVAC panel/trim upward. It's held on with half a dozen clips, some of which might come off and fall down into the tunnel. 

• Like 1

Thanks @agentdr8

I found a thread on lotus talk which has detailed instructions on dismantling the centre tunnel, which is useful. 

Any thoughts on whether I can just lift up the green section rather than the whole thing (red)?

943A800C-C9AB-4EAC-8A9C-E1D8412443D2.jpeg

Yes, you can remove just the HVAC panel (in green) and disconnect the few connectors on the underside. That should give you more than enough room to get to the boot zip tie (part 24). 

Another random question - does the lower shift tube make any practical difference given that the height of the knob is determined by the length of the actual stick and how far down the knob will screw (which isn’t very far before the thread funnels and chews up the inside of the knob)?

I have a feeling ill swap the shift tubes over and then find there’s a bloody big gap between the tube and the knob! Unless there’s some way of actually dropping the central gearstick itself too. 

No way to adjust the gearstick length/height. And the new knob should have a setscrew in it as well, which is what keeps it on the shaft. The lift tube position isn't much different from stock, and there isn't any noticeable threads or gap that I can see. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Once you have made the change wait until you screw in the grub screw that holds it firm.

Test you can actually use the lift action to get into reverse. You can screw the new ball too far down which restricts the movement of the lift tube preventing selection of reverse.

Once you have it right then screw down the grub screw.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

And before you put the knob on for the final

time - finish the job on behalf of Lotus.

mine emulates Brendonian’s thanks to some black and red nail varnish borrowed from Mrs mik. Using nail varnish makes it really easy to remove any excess.

Clik here

It still looks great years later as there is no contact with your hand...

• Like 1

Painted knob looks great! Unfortunately mine is the Elise shop variety with the sticker on the top not the engraving. 

When people talk about the new MY12 knobs needing a different lifter in order not to sit too high - this doesn’t make a lot of sense if the height is determined by the stick? Unless the new lifter just helps you screw it down a touch further... 

• Gold FFM

It's the "height" of the knob - the original Evora one was egg shaped remember so longer that the silver shiny ball knobs. Devil in the detail....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!