free hit
counters
'85 MY TE - Planning a rear Suspension overhaul - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'85 MY TE - Planning a rear Suspension overhaul

• Gold FFM

Looking at the state of the rear suspension (see piccies) , although driveable and passing MoT etc. I'm thinking of replacing all the rear bushes along with springs and dampers.

I'm looking at standard replacement kit, and was looking at either Protech dampers from SJ or AVO from PNM. Is there anything actually wrong with either?

Springs (std from SJ)

Also, I saw a set of rubber bushes from  Lotusbits - does anybody see any issues with using rubber bushes, as opposed to Polybushes?

I have read about care required for the hub carriers, and the bush insertion tool, but are there any other gotchas awaiting me e.g. likely parts that will need to be sourced?

Am also looking for a recommended place to carry out the work (I'm in Bucks, but willing to travel to the right place).  I've been recommended GST so far.

All thoughts/comments/advice/warnings/alarms etc. welcomed ('cos I'm not a mechanic, but want a decent job done)

TIA

thebartman

Bush2.jpg

Bush1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d go rubber over poly any day for a road car, I’ve done the poly bush thing many times and end up regretting it often losing ride quality. I’ve used the protech shocks without issues although prefer

Look up 'durometer' of poly...this refers to the hardness, or resistance to flex (twist).  Different vendors use different types. You never know.   I habitually spray my bushes (EDIT: with s

Your car is post 85 so you should be able to get the Lotus spring/damper upgrade with the new polybushes.   https://shop.thelotusforums.com/collections/suspension/products/lotac-suspension

Posted Images

Your pictures are of the right side arms. The left side, upper bush (closest to the exhaust heat) is most likely to fail.  Pictures of my old LH upper arm  is attached. 

Some poly bushes are less tolerant of heat than the rubber.🙄

If you think you would ever consider fitting wider wheels & lower profile tyres, it is a good time to fit adjustable upper links.

Since the proper working of the rear suspension depends on the twisting of the bushes, many owners advocate sticking with the rubber.

Do your shop a favour, start soaking all the hardware NOW with penetrant since you have the wheels off...🤨

IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

upper control arm.JPG

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Thanks @CarBuff,

I am expecting my delivery of Seafoam's Deep Creep this afternoon, and so will start the process of soaking for many days/weeks as I'm sure it can only help.

Re: Rubber vs. Poly, I'd not come across the heat issue in posts (maybe just searchng for unknown keywords) - nice one  - so a naive question ... are there different types of poly used in bushes (I'm also not a materials scientist) ?

Re: Lower/wider wheels - not interested - that can wait until I'm 6' under and someone else has the car .... 😂

How long might I expect a set of rubber bushes to last (time to perish in years, or #miles driven)? i.e should I go poly now and save the same job in a short time?

As always - appreciate the feedback

KR

thebartman

I’d go rubber over poly any day for a road car, I’ve done the poly bush thing many times and end up regretting it often losing ride quality. I’ve used the protech shocks without issues although prefer originals. 
Give you fastenings a real good wire brush before penetrating oil.
Adjustable arms as stated are ideal if you plan to have the car properly set.

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

2 hours ago, thebartman said:

are there different types of poly used in bushes

Look up 'durometer' of poly...this refers to the hardness, or resistance to flex (twist).  Different vendors use different types. You never know.

I habitually spray my bushes (EDIT: with spray silicone) while waiting for engine oil to drain. Until I discovered the subtle perished bush in my pictures, I have not felt the need to replace any. All the rest on my car are original, checked every B service.

Regards wider wheels:  I felt as you do until the 15" rubber became difficult to source. 😡

PS: A nice penetrate (believe it or not) is Armor-All....👏

Edited by CarBuff
  • Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Your car is post 85 so you should be able to get the Lotus spring/damper upgrade with the new polybushes.

https://shop.thelotusforums.com/collections/suspension/products/lotac-suspension

https://shop.thelotusforums.com/collections/poly-bushes/products/rr-w-bone-set-of-8-bushes-lotac05448

Thats what I used on my 1985 TE

buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

2 hours ago, thebartman said:

I’ve just put on Falken 225/60/r15 96w at the rear .....   

Having tried that rear size ONCE, I would not go back. The car wants more rear grip IMO.

After that set wore, I fitted some proper 235/60 - 15 and it was as if the car was reborn. But, I could not find matching fronts in the original type summer tires. Only 'all season'. 🥴

I know that availability differs on our side of the pond...

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I have an 84 turbo and fitted poly from Lotusbits at the rear end. I could not feel any degradation in ride quality. Also as far as rotation is concerned when I did a torque test in the garage the poly bushes were better than rubber. 

Personally if you dampers are still good (see if you can get a friendly race shop to test them) I would stick with standard Lotus dampers. I think a lot of the aftermarket dampers are significantly different in terms of nose angle which can upset the car in terms of ride quality.

good luck

C43

• Gold FFM

I would definitely recommend original dampers if you can keep them - I believe there are places which will refurbish old ones. I wish I had not thrown away my fronts! I have AVO shocks on my front - v good. I do not rate pro-tech ones as the adjustment knobs on mine fouled the lower arm ( a challenge for pre-1985 cars with earlier suspension set up). AVOs definitely ride better. the LOTAC upgrade is very expensive and also most cars with it on seem to ride too high? Post 85 cars ride higher anyway vs. pre 85.