free hit
counters
Crunching in first and reverse only - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Crunching in first and reverse only

nic996

Hi all,

i have a strange issue with a freshly rebuilt gearbox. When I pull away in first or reverse I get a crunch unless I’m extremely cautious with the clutch. Otherwise it works well once underway with nice clean gearshifts. I thought syncros but there is no reverse syncro and the effect is identical.  
Can anyone make any suggestions? 
cheers

nic. 

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging, make sure it's correctly adjusted & bled properly. If the weather is hot, no crunches in the cool morning & worse in the hot afternoon, it could be "red hose syndrom" so consider changing to a SS braided hose. 😃

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

The clutch did cross my mind. The clutch hose is already ss. I will have another go at bleeding the clutch and adjusting the arm. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

I checked and adjusted the clutch. It’s no better. The thing is, it only happens when the car is at a standstill and I give anything more than 1500rpm. And it only happens when the clutch bite is found. Otherwise it goes into gear no problem. It’s as if the gears are not meshing properly when the car is not rolling but fine when underway. 

I should add that I ruled out linkage mal-adjustment by disconnecting the linkage and putting into first gear by hand at the gearbox end. Made no difference. Still grinds before it gets off the line. 
Also I just tried to pull away in second gear and it’s the same problem. 

Publicly shaming myself here but I found the issue. A lesson to other diy mechanics. Having only ever fitted clutches to fwd cars, I didn’t know about the  spigot bearing and neglected to fit one. The clutch has been bouncing around a bit. Luckily the gearbox is fine and only my pride is damaged. Problem solved. Thanks for the suggestions. 
nic. 

14 hours ago, nic996 said:

Having only ever fitted clutches to fwd cars, I didn’t know about the  spigot bearing and neglected to fit one. 

Good to know it's fixed but why don't FWD cars have spigot bearings? :ermm:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

@jonwat 
fwd gearboxes have a solid input shaft through the entire gearbox so they don’t need to be supported  at the crank end. 
@AndyPG
the engine was supplied reconditioned without the bearing. The old one was still in the old engine when it was exchanged. 
@910Esprit

advice duly noted. Thanks. 

• Like 1