free hit
counters
Buying an Evora this week - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Buying an Evora this week

Hi all.  On cars dot com there are two 2014 Evora S’s for sale for 49k.  The blue one is a manual with 9800 miles...I’ve driven this car and it was a blast.  I’m set to meet with the dealer tomorrow to go through the car one more time and get compression readings.  The hang up on this car is it was declared a total loss to a flood back in 2016.  Dealer was up front about that and showed me where the waterline inside the car was on the passenger side...about an inch up off the floor.  It ruined some module at the passenger footwell that once it was ultimately replaced the car started right up.  Car is very clean and runs like a beast.  60 day warranty on the entire powertrain while anything at the flood level and below is guaranteed for life.

The other Evora is a white one with black pack...which is an absolutely fantastic color combination.  This car has only 4K miles on it and it’s automatic.

if the white one where manual I’d be on that car in a heartbeat.  The blue Evora is one town over from me while the white one is in FL (which would be a fun ride back to CT).

I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts about the two cars.  If the flood was truly no higher than the passenger floor and tomorrow’s compression test reveals all good, I’m leaning towards the blue one.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Rick

Oh, I have the funding fir the car now so the branded title would not be an issue.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sitting pretty...waiting for a spin.

Decision made... I’ll likely buy a clean titled IPS Evora S 2+2 this week and use it as a semi-daily driver.    Likely in a few years I’ll be in a better position to purchase a 400...which

Off to the airport now...9 am tomorrow In Florida I hopefully find the car checks out and I buy it.  Be on the road heading back to CT before lunchtime...a 20 hour drive to get acquainted with this 2+

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

In the UK, any wart on the title of the car is an issue for 99% of buyers. IE. They will not even consider buying. This obviously has an impact on values.

It don't mean the 99% are correct - it just means you limit your market on re-sale. 

Assuming a similar prognosis in US, just ensure you don't overpay now and regret it later. 

Personally, I would wait for a clean title car to your exact spec.

Justin  

Ditto the above. I don’t understand why a no-stories car that’s only covered 40% of the mileage would sell at the same price as the flood water damaged car. I fear you will take the hit when the time does eventually come to sell. You might not be thinking about that now, but it will be an issue later on. If you really want a manual, then I would keep looking.

I haven't driven an IPS Evora, but it might be worth a go to see how you feel about it. I have a semi auto Abarth at the moment and it's a right hoot even without a gear stick. There's a different sort of joy from flapping paddles and it's also nice to be able to dedicate one foot to one pedal when driving at speed.

Not saying it's as engaging as a three peddle car but it's worth having a try!

• Gold FFM

IPS 400 is very pleasant when I drove one, I was surprised as I am use to a dual-clutch flappy paddle but 400 was quick enough. I was less impressed with S IPS, others disagree but for me it was too slow on the down-change.

It would be foolish to buy an IPS without driving it first and in varying traffic conditions. You have to be sure it is right for you.

Justin

Umm...correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t the IPS just drive like an automatic without using the paddle shifters?  What I mean is the paddle shifters can be used at times when I want and at other times, say when in heavy traffic, I can forgo the paddle shifters and just drive the car as a regular automatic, correct?

• Gold FFM

Great news.

IPS is a fully automatic but you can over-ride with the flappies. Just like a dual-clutch, which can be full auto or paddles. A dual-clutch paddle shift is just very quick, up or down. The IPS is good but just not super-quick. 

Justin

I have had auto boxes in Mercedes SLs and Audi RSs since the 90s and it fascinates me that people still want to wiggle a stick on the floor whilst getting tougher calf muscles on the left leg! 

You made the right choice on the IPS. I have had mine for two weeks now, and on the trips I am feeling relaxed, getting into car and pushing a button to let the car do the rest is great! You will not be disappointed, and as you say, you can at any time take over using the paddles - but I wonder how often you will really do this...🙂

• Gold FFM

I know @Pacederon it's totally bewildering isn't it. I mean, apparently some people wear a watch still, a big steel weight that builds up their forearm. Some even prefer to use a pen rather than a keyboard to write letters whilst muscling up their fingers.  Bonkers mate, they really are!  😂🤣

I have an automatic flappy paddle S90. Think I used the paddles once and thought why bother. The auto is great at moving around the 7, or is it 8, gears. It's smoother than I'll ever be. So smooth it should be smothered in Johnsons baby powder.

I have an Evora 410 that is manual but I do know it has 6 gears forward for sure, though 5th and 6th must be like new as they rarely get used. Hasn't done anything to build up my calves but for the open road it really is no hassle wiggling a stick on the floor and as I've been driving for 37 years it just happens without me thinking about it. Do I enjoy it? Yes.  And No!  Would an Ips/flappy be easier? Probably. Better? Maybe. I ain't no heal and toeing driving god and having been out with Evora 4xx IPS's being driven hard and hearing the rev matching blip on downshifts I do admit to some considerable noise envy! The IPS can make anyone sound like a driving god. So maybe the difference is that for some (more talented/co ordinated than me) the joy comes from perfecting the art of wiggling a stick whilst balancing their foot on two pedals to recreate the perfect shift. I bet these driving gods were also the kids at school who showed off their prowess/co ordination to the girls by rubbing their bellies in perfect circles whilst simultaneously patting the tops of their heads.

Me. I just had to content myself with wiggling my stick, though thankfully it was not stuck on the floor.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

#manualsmatter

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I wish! The ride home is via airplane. I bought the car but I could not get a temp tag to drive it because it was las registered in NJ...not FL.

plus the car had a vibration which I’m guessing was due to flat spots...garage that’s holding it is looking into it.  AC also doesn’t blow cold...looking into that as well.  Otherwise not a scratch on the car.  It has only 4400 miles

That is a bumma - still, it is something to look forward to ...

Funny you mention the a/c - going through papers that came with my car, I see there was a lot of attention given to the a/c compressor in the first year, and only a few months back, in its fourth year, a complete new compressor was fitted - and this is a car with 37000kms on the clock.

is the a/c a weak spot of the Evora/Toyota I ask...Luckily I have a full mechanical four year warranty...

On 23/09/2020 at 16:24, C8RKH said:

#manualsmatter

Speaking of which.............find that Service Manual?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)