free hit
counters
Lotus Elan Sprint - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Elan Sprint

David6

I recently bought a 1970 Lotus Elan Sprint,

From what I read, the handbrakes seem to be almost non existant. Mine falls in that category !

Someone has previously played around with the swivel/pivot mechanism behind the diff and I need to get it out to carry out a repairs.

To remove it I need to gain access to the bolt that secures it but to do so I need to raise the body about 1"

I have removed all the bolts as far forward as the two near the gear box plus all seat belt mounts and seat runner bolts.

I am obviously being careful where I lift it but can only seperate the body by 1/4" and can just see a bit of the bolt head I need to remove.

I would have expected that having taken out the majority of the bolts the body would have flexed a tiny bit to give me the 1" gap I need. I can help but feel there is another obscure bolt/s somewhere stopping it lifting.

Any ideas ?  

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@David6

Not sure why you have to lift the body.??

However there is a fixing brace across the strut towers, remove the carpet to reveal it. Also two bolts behind the dash going into the chassis tunnel. Also the seat belts etc etc will stop movement. Have a look at these attachments, may help.

cheers

mark

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 20.10.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 20.10.14.png

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 20.15.46.png

• Like 1

Thank you for responding Mark.

I have removed all the bolts mentioned but I cannot get at the bolt head securing the spindle assy as the body is about an inch behind it and the diff about an inch in front and if I was able to undo it I would not be able to withdraw it. The only solution seems to be to raise the body about an inch. I have not tried the two bolts behind the dash as I was hoping with all the others removed it might flex enough to give me the inch I need.

Someone has done a real bodge on it last time with cheap and nasty bolts at the inboard end of the brake rods and bent the rods presumably in an attempt to get them shorter. If I can just get the spindle assy out I plan on making up some new rods using bowden cable with the ends brazed on and make them adjustable. The whole thing revolves around getting the spindle assy out. I'm very worried about cracking the body if I jack it up to hard. After about 1/4" of lift I can see the bolt head as the body parts from the chassis then the chassis lifts as well. Something must be stopping it.

David

I meant to say, what are you calling the strut towers ?

David

17 hours ago, David6 said:

I meant to say, what are you calling the strut towers ?

The section of the chassis the top of the spring/damper units bolt into.

As you've discovered the Elan's handbrake only worked correctly for a couple of miles after adjustment, a friend of mine used to park up around the corner from the MOT station in order to adjust his beforehand 😀

As the car is now MOT exempt if it was mine I wouldn't bother.

Elan Sprints were first produced in 1971.

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

@David6

To be fair my handbrake is excellent...

I guess if the body has been off the bolt has been put in the wrong way round. I see you have posted on LotusElan.net..... That is the best forum for these cars, no offence TLF 👍❤️👍

cheers

Mark 

• Like 1

Lotus Elan net is more a hands on group, they have to be, and all the better for it. TLF is great for the Esprit series.
I’ve owned two Elans, an 66 S2, an 71 sprint DHC, now a lotus TC engined 85 7, TLN is a great resource.

• Like 1

Non taken @Mark030358, I agree that LotusElan.net is an excellent forum full of very knowledgeable guys :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.