free hit
counters
907 tuning options - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

907 tuning options

Djs44

I know my s2 engine will need at the very least an engine rebuild when the car arrives. I haven't actually driven an Esprit but I don't think 160 bhp will be enough... 

I'm very tempted by the 2.5l engine Lotusbits do but its isn't a cheap option . 

So what options do I have with the 907 engine and which dealers do what ?

Thanks  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete at PNM has over 40 years experience and can rebuild it probably using most of what you have, he will do a great job.

Mike at Lotus bits can machine all of it to a much higher standard than it was originally. 
They did all my machining work and it is amongst the best you can get, see my blog.

S and J Sports cars and Southwest Lotus centre can also rebuild the engine. 
You will have to approach them and see what best matches what you require. The 907 is fairly straightforward to rebuild. The difficulty comes when measuring parts against book tolerances. These measurements acn be subjective and thats where you need experience. If you engineer the parts as new then its a matter of assembly. Sealants I used etc are all on my blog as are all the major pitfalls of a Lotus engine rebuild. 
There will always be things you have to work through. With experience you can get an engine sorted very quickly. Without it requires research and experimentation, but if you persevere you can achieve good results. I am amazed the engine is over 40 years old and no one had mentioned the oil pump PRV was removable! The are a lot of inaccuracies in some of the info on here. Just read my blog and you will have a good starting point.  

• Like 1

You have already found Lotusbits, who are probably the 'mainstream' source of performance parts and are race proven. 

Another route maybe to use a the NA HC engine which has 180bhp as a starting point, I recall.

After that. your options may get more bespoke.    E.G. Gary Kemp was one of the original high performance tuners of the 907 and was doing some really trick stuff, I've not seen anywhere since.   Think Mark Sudderby (cant remember his tag) has very recently had his S2 Restomodded - presumably fuel injection & mappable ignition.   Maybe worth sounding these guys out.

I suspect there are no cheap options and none of them would provide a return on investment.   Its just a matter of biting the bullet to get the car you want.  

Think QED also provided upgraded parts, but you would still need to find somebody to make them work for you.   But I suspect you wont find any cheap options.  

• Like 1

In my opinion 160bhp is perfectly fine for an S2. I've had over 20 years of ear to ear grins with mine in standard tune. That's what it was designed with. If Lotus wanted it to have more power, they would have made it with more power which they did with the Turbo and beyond. An early Esprit is not about straight line speed but the ride and handling. If straight line speed is what you want I suggest you swap the S2 for a later, more powerful car. My hatchback has 100bhp more than my S2 and trounces it speed-wise but I love driving the Esprit for what it is and how it feels. At the end of the day it's your car and you can do what you like with it but I've always said to folk if you want a fast car, get a fast car to start with and enjoy the S2 as Lotus intended. Also consider that more power is going to put greater stress on the rear suspension setup on the S2. S3 onwards had a more robust setup so could handle more power. It's not a straight swap to upgrade either.

Pete 

• Like 2

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks for the feedback . I guess I need to drive one to decide . 

Pete - I understand what you are saying - I have an s1 Elise which is standard and I do enjoy that with 118bhp ... I don't like the look of the later Esprits hence an s2 

I do like the thought of a 2.5l 4 cylinder on carbs thou ... mmm 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peteyg said:

Ah, bit too far for a quick test drive.

Pete

Pete , yes but thanks anyway . 

Not sure what state the current engine is in - it's in the car with a head on , spare head in the footwell and found all pistons and conrods in a box in the boot ...