free hit
counters
PNM Brake Kits - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

PNM Brake Kits

So I did have a quick peek at the Vacuum brake thread.

Ive no problem with adding a pump to the vacuum tank hidden in the rear buttress.

I did read about relays and too sensitive blah blah blah. 

So you wouldn't just have the vac pump running all the time? Too noisy? 

Cheers all buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
54 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

So you wouldn't just have the vac pump running all the time? Too noisy? 

They get awfully hot - car setting fire to hot in fact 

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

They get awfully hot - car setting fire to hot in fact 

Ive just fitted a salamander pressure boost pump for my shower. Self contained unit that turns on with flow. Is there not a similar vacuum pump I could buy?

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/electric-vacuum-pump

buddsy

I don't have the PNM setup, but do have one with similar characteristics (disc size, 4 pots of similar size etc), no additional vacuum, and I can get  the Esprit to a stop in decent time even with no servo assistance (I've done it when the flipping bolt let the belt slip). So, ask SimonF what happened when he tried out my car's brakes at a meet near Ickworth, hopefully he'll recall. 

There's a cheaper upgrade which if you want to, you can pop round and see the finished article on the gold Excel, you machined the discs to do it, it fits under 15 inch wheels on the Excel which I think is the same as your Esprit's front end (yours uses the Toyota callipers doesn't it?). I have some rather crabby looking callipers that would bolt on once machined, the discs then bolt on, and that's pretty much it save for the flex pipes and dust shield. Not 310mm but a lot better than the original.

• Like 1

It's a Peugeot disc modified with callipers by Sumitomo (modified as the disc is a couple of mm thinner than the donor car) which are used one a few cars. I had ali versions which seem to be a lot more rare now but I'm sure I have some steel ones you can have.

The Esprit version uses the same callipers but calliper opened up as the discs are a couple of mm thicker than the donor car, discs were something like 32mm thick and 312mm diameter. Having used it, it's very obvious that that version is over-kill.

I put the PNM (front) Hispec kit on mine in 2009 - rears are std.  Cant remember the disc size but less than 300.  I think they've been really good on both road and track.  Not noticed any servo issues issues or inadequacies.  Also available in stop faster red.spacer.png

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

the pug disks are from a 406 coupe (2.0 4cil, not the 3.0 v6)   283mm x 26 if I remember correctly, the caliper is from a 1990 nissan z32 3.0 NON turbo, (only MY with aluminium calipers)  4 x 40mm pistons.  I got a set from ebay usa for 100 dolars....   

I like the fact they look like OEM and not aftermarket

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG

Edited by lotus-62
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

I loves the red and yellow theme you got going 🥰

hows about it @RobinB5

To be honest I hummed and hared about the red and I wish Id have gone black maybe yellow.

The bilstein and eibachs are yellow and blue I have silver under there and now red...its all gone a bit Benetton to be honest! :hrhr:

At least its clean and as well all know red brakes makes your car go faster!

buddsy

• Like 1

800px-VWGolfHarlequin.jpg

• Haha 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.