free hit
counters
Elise back pain. - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Elise back pain.

NickB

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome Nick - What year was the Elise? There were a few seats fitted, but most are of the lightweight variety so not exactly the luxury seat of a modern car but some (Probax) are more comfy than others. 

I've had a couple of Elise's and driven a large variety but never had back pain, even with long trips in an S1 so I'd guess some shaped bodies (I'm well padded) are better with the seats than others. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This might sound completely daft but did you have the seat too far back whilst driving and therefore unintentionally  over-stretching for the clutch?

I’ve done this before accidentally after cleaning the interior, it took a couple of days for the pain to completely go☹️

• Gold FFM

Check the lumbar support. I once drove my Elise S1 with the lumbar pumped up and it killed my back. I like it with no extra padding. The S1 has an inflatable lumbar, not sure if later cars do.

I just did 300 miles with the S1 in one go, no problem. 

Justin  

Dear all,

Thanks for the replies to my message. It was a 2019 car.  Maybe there’s a problem with the angle of the seat in relation to the throttle pedal.  After 2 hours in the car I felt fine but it was later in the day that I started to ache.  
I used to own a 2004 Elise about 10 years ago but had to sell it simply because of back pain.  I was hoping that the latest models were better but it looks like they’re not.  I had 2 fantastic hours on Wednesday in the car and I want to follow up every lead I can to try and cure this problem. 

Just saying, but perhaps an osteopath might explain, would be a useful trip perhaps?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

It does seem like you may have an underlying back or alignment issue, perhaps with your pelvis.  I have regular visits with my chiropractor to keep on top of my scoliosis, it makes a huge difference to my ability to both use a manual transmission and be in a car for long periods at a time.

To compare, I find my Elise seats to be way more comfy than those in my Mercedes, in that I ache after about an hours worth of driving.  They just seats don't support my pelvis correctly at all.  I reserve the best seats I've ever had in a car though to Lexus!

Ive had back problems all my life after a motorbike crash as a teenager. When I got my first elise I got back ache every trip due to the lack of power steering. Once it got use to it and it strengthend up it was ok. If i was going through a bad patch with my back, getting in and out could be tricky but driving was fine. Ive driven many 1000's of miles in exiges and elises round europe etc and always got out without issue. The seats sometime dont feel right at first but I always presumed were ergonomically set correctly so once you adjust to them, they were fine. In contrast my mum had a rover 400 years ago and I couldnt travel a mile in that before getting back ache!

Thats why I love the comfy sofas that are the recaro seats in the evora!