free hit
counters
Traction light : to be or not to be that’s question - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Traction light : to be or not to be that’s question


Recommended Posts

I have asked and am sure there is an answer ?

I had a major service last week , had my lotus dealer look at my codes history as I informed them my traction light comes and goes 

dealer looked at it said they cleared it couldn’t see what caused it ?

today car went for it’s MOT just before arriving at lotus garage traction light came on ? Car went through MOT successfully no light however lotus guys put laptop and cleared any codes , drove home and Traction light came on as I neared home ? 
So my question what can I do about this dam light ? Lotus guys said they never know why it comes on and there’s no codes ? 
car drives ok there’s a slight Rev hunting when sat at traffic lights but otherwise car runs fine 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it's a dual-function switch - first press tells ECU you are about to press the brake, second does the rear lights. It should be setup correctly using Lotus diagnostic tool to ensure the c

I "borrowed" these photos from online to show what you are looking for when replacing the brake switch...  

Posted Images

I had the traction light come on on my 400 the other day and I couldn't select Race or Sport modes. Luckily it soon went out of its ken accord, and hasn't been seen since.

 

When it was on there were no OBD codes to be found by my basic OBD reader, which only reads "engine" codes. My question is: is there a home-use OBD reader that you can buy that can read other system codes on the Evora? (e.g. TC, ABS, SRS-airbag, TPMS, etc.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RichardC said:

My question is: is there a home-use OBD reader that you can buy that can read other system codes on the Evora? (e.g. TC, ABS, SRS-airbag, TPMS, etc.)

 

Yes and no. 

There is an ODB reader that can interrogate some of the modules. See this thread for details:


However, don’t think that it will act like a DIY version of Lotus Techcentre. It won’t. For example, with the airbag module, it can’t read the actual code but it can clear the light. It might be the same with some of the other modules. However, it won’t be able to access any proprietary modules (such as the Bosch ABS module). That is specific to the Evora (and Exige, presumably). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about cruise control seldom use it to be fair and I don’t have sport button just my right foot !

I read on a related thread about accelerator or brake pedal taking out a  plug and reset it back ? 
i was hoping the lotus garage at my major service was sorting it but to no avail ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Yes and no. 

There is an ODB reader that can interrogate some of the modules. See this thread for details:


However, don’t think that it will act like a DIY version of Lotus Techcentre. It won’t. For example, with the airbag module, it can’t read the actual code but it can clear the light. It might be the same with some of the other modules. However, it won’t be able to access any proprietary modules (such as the Bosch ABS module). That is specific to the Evora (and Exige, presumably). 

That's useful to know but also a little worrying. Changing an ABS wheel sensor, for example, is a simple DIY or local garage job. The car knows exactly which sensor is playing up, puts on a fault light, but it won't tell you which one it is. Your only option is take the time and expense of a trip to the nearest Lotus dealer for diagnostics, which may not be very near at all. If it's an intermittant fault then it could be a wasted journey if the fault has cleared by the time you get there. And don't forget that dashboard warning lights are now an MoT test fail, so the option of ignoring them is no longer there. Unlikely to happen, but what if Lotus were to go out of business and the already sparse dealer network culled?

The car industry really ought to be forced to produce an open standard for reading and resetting fault codes for systems other than the engine, just as they were when OBD2/EOBD came in. In the US it looks like they've been trying to introduce "right to repair" legislation for around 15 years and not got very far, with certain car  (and computer - I'm looking at you Apple!) manufacturers opposing it, presumably because it would mean lower profits for their dealer networks. I've not seen anything about similar initiatives in the EU, but we aren't in that any more anyway. Rant over.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Just had this.

Traction light on. Couldn’t select modes or use cruise control.

Intermittent problem that got progressively more frequent.

Cause was a faulty brake pedal switch. B&C replaced under warranty.

Might be worth checking if your brake lights are working if you get this problem.

Didn’t know to check mine but in theory they shouldn’t have been working and would have diagnosed the issue.

Apart from the obvious danger of no brake lights. 😮

For future reference, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^agreed - had same issue a few months ago, replaced the brake pedal switch and it's fine. It also happened on both my V6 exige and S2 exige before that. Brake switch is a consumable basically, will go after 3/4 years. Cheap to fix though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

^agreed - had same issue a few months ago, replaced the brake pedal switch and it's fine. It also happened on both my V6 exige and S2 exige before that. Brake switch is a consumable basically, will go after 3/4 years. Cheap to fix though. 

How do you replace this brake switch ? Given I am a real dummy when it comes to things mechanical ! I thought  my lotus service would spot this but all they did was to clear the light however it came back 5 mins later 

I notice it comes on when I do brake but I am certain my brake lights work correctly as it’s passed MOT a few weeks ago 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brake pedal switch is fitted behind the brake pedal.  It is a pain to get at.  It basically unplugs and you need to plug a new one back in.

I did mine earlier in the year.   I bought mine from SJ sportscars  https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A116J6034F.htm

Took about 10 minutes to do.  If you are tall or have big hands it might be difficult to get at!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I notice it comes on when I do brake but I am certain my brake lights work correctly as it’s passed MOT a few weeks ago 🤔

I’d guess the traction light wasn’t on (so the switch wasn’t misbehaving) at mot time (otherwise it would have failed) and therefore the brake lights would have been fine at that moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KJD said:

I’d guess the traction light wasn’t on (so the switch wasn’t misbehaving) at mot time (otherwise it would have failed) and therefore the brake lights would have been fine at that moment.

I don’t know that the traction light affects my brake light ? I need to check it when I get the traction light come up I need to get someone to look at the rear to see if brake lights are affected ? Not had anyone flash or beep me about my brake lights ? 

3 hours ago, GTE_Peter said:

Brake pedal switch is fitted behind the brake pedal.  It is a pain to get at.  It basically unplugs and you need to plug a new one back in.

I did mine earlier in the year.   I bought mine from SJ sportscars  https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A116J6034F.htm

Took about 10 minutes to do.  If you are tall or have big hands it might be difficult to get at!

Is there a step by step plan on doing this ? I am not tall and have average hands but have a bad back so maybe I get my son to do it ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM

It’s behind the brake pedal. Can’t miss it. Pull off plug. Turn 1/4 turn and pull out from the back. 
 

Fitting it is the reverse. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I don’t know that the traction light affects my brake light ?

Because it's a dual-function switch - first press tells ECU you are about to press the brake, second does the rear lights.

It should be setup correctly using Lotus diagnostic tool to ensure the code is properly sorted (that both switches switch at the correct point versus brake pedal pressure sensor), but many people seem to get away with just swapping it.  To be fair, I've had simple one that work straight away, and some that take a few goes to get it right.

Dave

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about to say that. Thanks Dave.

A light tap on the pedal cancels cruise without activating the brake lights. Full press turns them on.

So my theory about checking them when the warning light is on might be rubbish if the fault is with the first part of the switch.

Oh well, just a thought!

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the above sounded Greek to me so I got the AA man to sort out my suddenly non shutting boot !!!

whilst he was sorting that boot out I told me about the above however I didn’t show him the last couple of kind responses above as I didn’t see them to now ! 
anyway the nice AA man said he fixed the boot it was the cable that got stretched ? So I need to sort that for long term ? 
the brake switch he said he took it out gave it a clean and put it back but I haven’t tested as I was busy today with work 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...