free hit
counters
Traction light : to be or not to be that’s question - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Traction light : to be or not to be that’s question

I have asked and am sure there is an answer ?

I had a major service last week , had my lotus dealer look at my codes history as I informed them my traction light comes and goes 

dealer looked at it said they cleared it couldn’t see what caused it ?

today car went for it’s MOT just before arriving at lotus garage traction light came on ? Car went through MOT successfully no light however lotus guys put laptop and cleared any codes , drove home and Traction light came on as I neared home ? 
So my question what can I do about this dam light ? Lotus guys said they never know why it comes on and there’s no codes ? 
car drives ok there’s a slight Rev hunting when sat at traffic lights but otherwise car runs fine 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the traction light come on on my 400 the other day and I couldn't select Race or Sport modes. Luckily it soon went out of its ken accord, and hasn't been seen since.

When it was on there were no OBD codes to be found by my basic OBD reader, which only reads "engine" codes. My question is: is there a home-use OBD reader that you can buy that can read other system codes on the Evora? (e.g. TC, ABS, SRS-airbag, TPMS, etc.)

37 minutes ago, RichardC said:

My question is: is there a home-use OBD reader that you can buy that can read other system codes on the Evora? (e.g. TC, ABS, SRS-airbag, TPMS, etc.)

Yes and no. 

There is an ODB reader that can interrogate some of the modules. See this thread for details:

However, don’t think that it will act like a DIY version of Lotus Techcentre. It won’t. For example, with the airbag module, it can’t read the actual code but it can clear the light. It might be the same with some of the other modules. However, it won’t be able to access any proprietary modules (such as the Bosch ABS module). That is specific to the Evora (and Exige, presumably). 

Not sure about cruise control seldom use it to be fair and I don’t have sport button just my right foot !

I read on a related thread about accelerator or brake pedal taking out a  plug and reset it back ? 
i was hoping the lotus garage at my major service was sorting it but to no avail ! 

16 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Yes and no. 

There is an ODB reader that can interrogate some of the modules. See this thread for details:

However, don’t think that it will act like a DIY version of Lotus Techcentre. It won’t. For example, with the airbag module, it can’t read the actual code but it can clear the light. It might be the same with some of the other modules. However, it won’t be able to access any proprietary modules (such as the Bosch ABS module). That is specific to the Evora (and Exige, presumably). 

That's useful to know but also a little worrying. Changing an ABS wheel sensor, for example, is a simple DIY or local garage job. The car knows exactly which sensor is playing up, puts on a fault light, but it won't tell you which one it is. Your only option is take the time and expense of a trip to the nearest Lotus dealer for diagnostics, which may not be very near at all. If it's an intermittant fault then it could be a wasted journey if the fault has cleared by the time you get there. And don't forget that dashboard warning lights are now an MoT test fail, so the option of ignoring them is no longer there. Unlikely to happen, but what if Lotus were to go out of business and the already sparse dealer network culled?

The car industry really ought to be forced to produce an open standard for reading and resetting fault codes for systems other than the engine, just as they were when OBD2/EOBD came in. In the US it looks like they've been trying to introduce "right to repair" legislation for around 15 years and not got very far, with certain car  (and computer - I'm looking at you Apple!) manufacturers opposing it, presumably because it would mean lower profits for their dealer networks. I've not seen anything about similar initiatives in the EU, but we aren't in that any more anyway. Rant over.