free hit
counters
From Mclaren to Lotus - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

From Mclaren to Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a 12c for 2 years and 22k miles and really enjoyed it. They have steel brakes so much cheaper to run on brakes.   My 570 is a track pack car which has been to MSO for some more track b

Build quality is fine. Plenty of high miler Evora around with no negative reports. Not sure there is a GTE430. Evora GTE may be tuned post-factory to 430 but they were 350 from factory (I think).

Thanks for the replies.   Jep, part of the attraction is the cost to run including track days, brakes on the mclaren are not cheap!   Jerzybondov, that looks exactly like the car B

Posted Images

Lotus GTE is 350 hp and is now an old model. The Lotus 440 bhp version was a track car only.

There is a similar looking car produced by Stratton motors based on the Evora GTE. Each one is different, but Stratton will tell you what those differences are.

The GT430 is no longer produced but is the last 'power' model and also has body and interior differences and is a fairly limited edition.

Re modding the cars- as always do your homework as to how much support there is and what the potential pitfalls are of a non Lotus approved mod.

430 runs a little lower than non 430 on the Ohlins, but they are not height adjustable as fitted.

The 430 is the car that I would go for over the others and not mod it, although the 410 is a close second, especially if you are going to use it as a base for modding to your own requirements.

Whichever you go for it won't disappoint, even after a Mcl. If you can afford to keep the Mcl for the road and run the Evora for track, that would be a great combination.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Bell and Colvill a great Lotus dealer. 

Which McLaren do you currently have? My 12c has been kind to me on brakes but I don't track it. 

I suppose if you track a car, you can never have enough power! Twisty, short straights tracks would I assume suit Evora best.

Justin 

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a manual GT430 (the one with the high wing), which would be ideal for track use. There are always a handful for sale. Alternatively you have Exige 430 or even 3-Eleven for really fast track days. Stratton GT is also manual and about 430bhp, but LHD only.

• Like 1

Do the 430s have the same issues with noise testing that other 4xx cars have? Do you need to change / mod the exhaust for track use?

And yes - that is exactly the car I took out - you must have been treating B&C well if they gave it to you for a few days!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

22,000 miles in 2 years with 12c. Well done! I average about 8,000 per annum but CV19 has messed up 2020....1st world problem. 

Love your 570. No idea if Evora can match that thrill on track but there is only one way to find out. 

Justin  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jep said:

22,000 miles in 2 years with 12c. Well done! I average about 8,000 per annum but CV19 has messed up 2020....1st world problem. 

Love your 570. No idea if Evora can match that thrill on track but there is only one way to find out. 

Justin  

C19 has definitely slowed things down but I have still managed 10k miles in the 570s in 18 months.

I think the two cars are very similar in some ways but also very different. Big power and big boost, pointy and seamless gearshifts vs revvy, manual, feelsome, small.

I do really miss my GT430, fab on road and track. Was an epic day at Silverstone, seems a long time ago now and probably the last time I tracked it.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Regarding Komotec, I have installed their 435 tune in my 400.  It is a more powerful tune with better throttle response than the factory version currently being delivered in our GT versions.  I have no way to compare it to the 430 factory tune that has been available to you in the various 430 iterations available outside the USA, but I suspect it is more powerful than that as well.  It makes a real difference you can feel and elevates the car from "quick" to genuinely fast.  

I installed it myself, and I am far from computer savvy.  KT also returns the stock tune and a 91 RON to the purchaser so the car can be reflashed to its factory condition in ten minutes.  BTW, 91 RON is our lower octane"premium"  fuel that is available in all states.  We have two standards for premium fuel.  93 RON is not universally available here so you do need the additional 91 RON map if you live where 93 isn't available but still want most of the benefits of the KT tune.  

I have catalogued my experience with getting the KT tune loaded to my car on LotusTalk (search "Another Komotec Thread" on Lotustalk for the full saga).  It's a bit harder to source and install  here than in Europe, where you have local vendors.  In the US, we need to buy it direct from Germany and there is no support for it from third party vendors.  Even so many of us have installed it to great effect.  

'17 Evora 400 MT 

You will need an aftermarket, quieter exhaust for Brands. No way the OE 4XX one will make it through the noise limits. I have a 2bular on mine, and some enormous cans, which was fine for Snetterton a couple of months ago. (Although I've just bought an old Caterham for some trackday fun, going to try to keep the 400 for the road).

IMG_20200804_082930.jpg

Don't know about you but I think mine looks better... 

IMG_20200804_081457.jpg

• Love 1
  • Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Five50 said:

I could be wrong but believe the Lotus track exhaust fits the Evora and Exige - it’s about £2k from Lotus but will get you on most places 

Yeah, I have one for my cup430 and its very good at getting you on all tracks. I bought it from Trevsked who had it on his GT430.