free hit
counters
Should i buy an Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Should i buy an Evora?

Peteric

Hello Everyone!

I am a Lotus owner already, i have a 1990 Esprit Turbo SE done 48,000 miles and a Elan M100 Turbo done 80,000 miles. Both cars now are exactly how i want them. I spent a lot of money on the Esprit especially, although i done all the work myself as while i am not a mechanic by profession, i am reasonably handy with spanners and have worked on scooters , motorbikes and cars since i was about 16.

I love the Esprit and Elan but i find myself more and more drawn to the modern Evora.

My Budget would be up to £35,000 so i would be looking at 8 to 10 year old cars i presume?

The reason for this is that although the Esprit has a special place in my heart (i loved them ever since James Bond etc) but i like the thought of having a lotus that i feel i can use more.

For example, i use the esprit through out spring and summer but i long for a Lotus that is a modern sports car that i am not worried about using in the wet etc.

It would not be used in line with my work but as a regular driver for all social, domestic and pleasure throughout the year.

I love the look of the Evora and the more modern interior. 

Are the Evora's of a much better build quality than the 1990's cars and is a good one useable all year round without costing an arm and a leg to run? I ask this as i do everything on my esprit.....change the oil and filter, change the cambelt and any general repairs. I presume because the Evora is a modern car it is best left in the hands of decent mechanics?

With an 8 to 10 year old Evora am i just going to end up with one that needs a load of work and money spending on it?

So , what do you think.....Esprit or Evora.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

With a budget of up to £35k you will be able to get your hands on a truly great, low mileage Evora. My advice would the NA is it is cheaper to run (tax, tyres etc) and is a really sweet handling car. However, if you really do need just a tad more grunt than the S is fine too.

Toyota gearboxes and engines are bullet proof, the only weak point is the clutch and that is because it is a circa £2-2.5k job as the rear clam usually needs to come off.

Buy and drive. Go for it....

I believe this car is a well know forum members car:

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10615053?cId=10807752&cId=10827125&cId=10673264&cId=10567873&cId=10615053&cId=10189611&cId=10517597&cId=10806533&cId=10680223&cId=10758509&cId=10744725

This dealer has a superb reputation

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10673264?cId=10807752&cId=10827125&cId=10673264&cId=10567873&cId=10615053&cId=10189611&cId=10517597&cId=10806533&cId=10680223&cId=10758509&cId=10744725

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

23 minutes ago, Peteric said:

With an 8 to 10 year old Evora am i just going to end up with one that needs a load of work and money spending on it?

It's unlikely such an Evora exists, none of them need loads of work or money spent on them.

Read my long term reviews from the beginning. I had an Esprit Turbo SE and then an Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS and then some more but those are the ones that'll interest you. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I’ve both - like many have. The Evora is a usable everyday car that’s simply sublime. The Evora has been with me for a year and it’s fantastic. Literally nothing has gone wrong with it - other than the sail panel cracking

Only here once

I purchased a 2012 car in your price range just over a year ago. Ive been slowly tidying up and doing a few jobs.

The car has been thoroughly reliable with just minor tweaks needing like gas boot struts, and mud guard brackets. It's no harder to work on than any other car on my opinion. It has some quirks and some things are a little tricky to get to but if you are used to lotus you are probably used to that. 

It's fantastic as an everyday car, plenty of space, comfy seats, good sized boot. Cruises on the motorway superbly, but is also massively fun bad capable when you get the chance to open the taps!

£35k should get you a nice S or a really really nice Na. Prices vary massively so watch the market and do your homework.

And just do it.. it's awesome.  

Your brief is exactly why I bought mine. 25000 extremely-enjoyable miles  later and no major faults, except for a stone-destroyed condenser, which killed the compressor also (happens a lot on other cars, e.g. 911s), plus some weird electrical issues which were solved by resetting the ECU. I've also had brake and throttle-position sensors fail, but they're like £20 each. Not once have I worried about the engine destroying itself (unlike my 996....) or even not starting.

It recently took an 85-year-old and three week's worth of baggage home after my Panamera broke down, too. She was amazed how comfortable it was. 

It gets a lot of love on the road, too. All-in-all it's definitely the best-fun usable car I've had and I still shake my head how so people go for them.

• Like 1

Most definitely - the best all-round Lotus I've ever owned (subject to my age, fitness, lifestyle, finances, etc. at the time...!)  from the list in my profile......

<=============

Edited by JimH