free hit
counters
JPS Project - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

The rubber sleeved brake pin is the trailing pin.  Plain pin is leading

So plain at the bottom ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much progress but getting closer to "meeting its body" . 

Water hoses , one brake pipe , exhaust and gear linkage ( the middle link fouls the sump , so needs tweaking ) . Oh and I cracked one of the rear uprights ... 🤬

I'm told the engine position can be adjusted by twisting the engine mounts . is this the case ? 

rear end.jpg

• Confused 1

Check the gear linkage with the WSM as it is easy to assemble and fit incorrectly. It is close to the sump, but should not be near to fouling if fitted correctly.

There is latitude in which to move the engine slightly, but this will rest in a position, and you do not want to put an undue twisting pressure on it as the exhaust side one is prone to premature failing as it is.

Which upright, the gearbox/rear brake mounting with the 5 bushes in it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Check the gear linkage with the WSM as it is easy to assemble and fit incorrectly. It is close to the sump, but should not be near to fouling if fitted correctly.

There is latitude in which to move the engine slightly, but this will rest in a position, and you do not want to put an undue twisting pressure on it as the exhaust side one is prone to premature failing as it is.

Which upright, the gearbox/rear brake mounting with the 5 bushes in it?

The original engine has a different sump to the one fitted - the new engine has 3 bolts across the front and the intermediate gear change shaft wants to go straight through the one on the right ....

original engine.jpg

clash.jpg

• Confused 1

Oh wow. By how much is it obstructing the gearshift?

I assume the car didn't operate with this engine before strip down?

12 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Oh wow. By how much is it obstructing the gearshift?

I assume the car didn't operate with this engine before strip down?

I'd guess that if the nut wasn't there it would be ok ... it " wants " to go straight through it . 

You may not remember that the car was partially stripped when I bought it - hence my questions about brake pipe runs ( not that I got an answer 😜)  etc . It's all new to me . 

The engine is a different one based on a 2.2 bottom end

- speaking with Lotusbits , they quite often have to " tweak " the links to fit . 

I suspect they will be doing mine when I take them the chassis to get the exhaust fitted as no matter what I do , one pipe fouls the chassis ( hence my engine mount q - I'm with you ref twisting them , not good )  and I've wasted enough time on it . 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

Tocus 

Nice to see those pics again - I bought it from Malta . It is well travelled - exported to New Zealand, returned to the UK , then to you in Holland , then Malta , then back home . The speedo only says 30000 miles though 🤣

but its finnaly at the right owner ! who finish it very well, and love the car! great to read your story, and your work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Djs44 said:

You may not remember that the car was partially stripped when I bought it - hence my questions about brake pipe runs ( not that I got an answer 😜)  etc . It's all new to me . 

I think my restoration thread has some photos of the chassis at assembly stage. 

@madrockethas a LotusBits exhaust system on his uprated S1, I helped him install the 2.2L engine and transmission back in December 2016. He may be able to shed some light on how it fits.

If your chassis has the later S1 cross braces, with the version from SJ Sportscars which allows their stainless steel manifold to be fitted you may have installed the bar incorrectly. I did originally. No instructions. Then Steve at SJ Sportscars talks to you as if you're an idiot and not a Vulcan mind reader. There is certainly a bit on that in my restoration thread.

Edited by Fridge
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I think my restoration thread has some photos of the chassis at assembly stage. 

@madrockethas a LotusBits exhaust system on his uprated S1, I helped him install the 2.2L engine and transmission back in December 2016. He may be able to shed some light on how it fits.

If your chassis has the later S1 cross braces, with the version from SJ Sportscars which allows their stainless steel manifold to be fitted you may have installed the bar incorrectly. I did originally. No instructions. Then Steve at SJ Sportscars talks to you as if you're an idiot and not a Vulcan mind reader. There is certainly a bit on that in my restoration thread.

Thanks David . 
All the pipes fit except no3 and the foul Is between the pipe and the actual chassis - the removable braces actually fit ! 
I’ll ask Mike to take a look - they’ve been really helpful throughout 

I’ve had a similar conversation reference Vulcan lol . 

And @changes has been very patient waiting for the chassis . 

• Like 1

I can no longer post photos on here, but there's a photo of my exhaust side brace which shows its orientation to allow SJ Sportscar's stainless manifold to be fitted. The standard brace will not work when the exhaust is upgraded.

The LotusBits manifold looks convoluted but is supposed to be a very good one.

All looks very familiar.

You fitted Audi rear brake calipers by the looks of things?

I was not far from you last week. Passing by on the M5 to and from Worcester and beyond. Birmingham has changed in the 2.5 years I was last there.

11 hours ago, Fridge said:

All looks very familiar.

You fitted Audi rear brake calipers by the looks of things?

I was not far from you last week. Passing by on the M5 to and from Worcester and beyond. Birmingham has changed in the 2.5 years I was last there.

Yes , the original calipers were not with the car  so I had to fit new ones . 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Djs44 said:

All leather done - a couple of bits need sorting but looking good 

leather 6.jpg

leather 7.jpg

One of the seats was damaged - the armrest trim was ruined by the company that I asked to remake the material .... so the rest has gone to repair this seat . It still needs a good clean but I'm pretty happy with the result .I should say that all the leather on the seats is new and they made a cracking job of stitching in the material 

damaged seat.jpg

leather 8.jpg

Top is before , bottom after the repair 

Yes they should be gold. Not found anywhere that sells them though, probably have to wrap some silver ones same as the cant rail trims.

• 2 weeks later...