free hit
counters
JPS Project - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

JPS Project

I went to see the blasted chassis today and it is a 9 out of 10 . 

It needs the chassis rail by the exhaust replacing and has had some repairs at the front , lower wishbone mounts . Whilst were at it ,  will have the lower front bit and the lower backbone base ( which has some jacking dents)  replaced before being painted . 

Also trailing links are splitting due to rust so .... 

Worth doing . 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Make sure a good job is done with that rear triangular sheeting. If the dings are only cosmetic I think it would be best to simply knock them out. Otherwise you're building in more cost and risk than the benefit.

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Make sure a good job is done with that rear triangular sheeting. If the dings are only cosmetic I think it would be best to simply knock them out. Otherwise you're building in more cost and risk than the benefit.

it is just the "t" that's being done - proper good fabricators doing it .

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 16:56, Djs44 said:

I went to see the blasted chassis today and it is a 9 out of 10 . 

It needs the chassis rail by the exhaust replacing and has had some repairs at the front , lower wishbone mounts . Whilst were at it ,  will have the lower front bit and the lower backbone base ( which has some jacking dents)  replaced before being painted . 

Also trailing links are splitting due to rust so .... 

Worth doing . 

What’s the process for the front  chassis lower T section jack damage repair? Mines been hammered! The metal folds over from memory from front and rear.

Also have some splitting on the trailing arms, just separation really but want to sort while the cars apart.....what’s the process? Thanks!

• Like 1

Trailing arms (radius arms)?

They're simple box sections. So I imagine is a fold is separating and it's not rusted through then a simple spot weld will repair it and make it good before covering up.

As for the 'T' section floor you can only really weld on the same thickness as the rest of the 'T' section, so have to use the same process as Lotus I expect. But best check.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JonSE said:

What’s the process for the front  chassis lower T section jack damage repair? Mines been hammered! The metal folds over from memory from front and rear.

Also have some splitting on the trailing arms, just separation really but want to sort while the cars apart.....what’s the process? Thanks!

Jon 

Can't help I'm afraid - I have zero ability to tackle this myself so it is being done by the fabricators next to Lotusbits . Same with the radius arms .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again no progress to report ,,,, although body is being collected next week . 

My dad was a serial radio fan and since he passed 2 years ago my mum has found around 70 radios ... 

I was up with her is Scotland last week and she was throwing a few things out and asked if I wanted this ? 

Oh yes ,  I said - it is the radio my dad bought to replace the standard one on his new 1983 VW Jetta . 

I'm now imagining that a 1979 Esprit owner may have done  the same thing , so , if it still works , it will go into mine as I don't have an original . 

radio.jpg

• Like 2

I remember first hand that Pioneer made some great radio/cassette units for cars. They were often one of the best available, apart from Blaupunkt.

I have an instruction manual and service notes for a genuine JPS unit.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Nice job @Djs44. I assume the engine, gearbox and interior are included somewhere 😁

Judging from the work @CHANGES did on John's car, you should be in for a nice surprise

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

2 hours ago, Bling said:

Nice job @Djs44. I assume the engine, gearbox and interior are included somewhere 😁

Judging from the work @CHANGES did on John's car, you should be in for a nice surprise

Interior is off for  retrim ( since Nov last year ). I've still got the gearbox and original engine but having a new engine :) , build should be started soon. Maybe. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

No.33?

Sorry, I don't know the JPS number. It means nothing to me, and is also duplicated. It's the Vanguard model with that registration number (plate).

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress today - visited to see the engine build which has just started  on the 2.5l engine . 

Based on the 2.2l block which I understand has a stronger bottom end :)

esprit engine 1.jpg

head.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Chassis due " home " tomorrow so I can start adding bits

Great timing. Something to work on during the autumn and winter months.

• Like 1