Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit S3 turbo with 3.0 V6 engine conversion - For Sale - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit S3 turbo with 3.0 V6 engine conversion

lotusforsale.com

Selling my 1983 Lotus Esprit Turbo S3. The engine has been changed for a Jaguar AJ30 V6 from the S-Type. This engine is based on the ford Duratec V6 and makes 240Bhp in the jag. The original Lotus engine is unfortunately not with the car.

The conversion has been done by an engineering company in Yorkshire and is documented in a build thread here: https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/85536-s3-turbo-duratec-conversion/

The project was started by someone else and I bought it as a non-runner. I had the engine mapped and fixed a lot of issues. I got the car MOT’d and have driven it about 500 “spirited” miles. It’s time for me to sell because I’d like to move on to a genuine S3 Turbo!

Mechanically the car has (touch wood) proven to be reliable. I park it in the garage and it’s ready to go for a drive the next day. Visually it has seen better days with a cheap respray completed a few year ago. It’s missing it’s body side rub strips and has various small defects in the bodywork. It still looks good from a few meters away and gets plenty of attention and positive reaction! The interior has had some parts re-trimmed (such as the seats) and other parts could use a re-trim but it’s a perfectly acceptable place to spend time. And by way of illustration, I even had the pleasure of my wife’s company on one occasion!

Changes:

• V6 engine swapped.
  • Sub frame modifed
  • Gearbox adapter plate
  • Ford ST220 inlet manifold
  • custom exhausts (loud and sounds amazing)
  • Emerald K6 engine management (mapped by Northampton Motorsports to 213 bhp)

Good points:

• New tyres all round (Continental Premium-contact)
  • Brakes work good (new pads bedded in)
  • Gear shift works all gears
  • Clutch works fine
  • Engine professionally mapped on a rolling road and very driveable
  • Steel chassis was repaired and painted with body off during engine conversion
  • suspension overhalled with purple polly-bushes all around
  • New spax height adjustable springs and shocks
  • New lightweight AGM “motorsport” battery
  • New radiator, fans and all coolant pipes renewed
  • New brake pipes througout and new “green stuff” brake pads (now bedded in)
  • Solid underneath

Bad points:

• bodywork and interior needs TLC
  • Headlamps not popping up
  • windows lazy
  • Windscreen wiper not working
  • engine bay trim missing (due to engine conversion)
  • Modification of engine bay bodywork to fit new engine

The car is hard to price because it’s so unique. Please come, have a look, drive and make me a sensible offer. I’m open to PX too. I’ve never driven a Turbo version to compare it against but with the V6 it sounds amazing and is an absolute hoot to drive.

The 213 is plenty of power to enjoy the car as it is but the engine is capable of more. The ST220 manaifold might look better than the standard one but it’s fitted with a 55mm TB (the jag manifold has a 75m TB). This is because the original owner was going to turbo charge it. You could easily get up to the limits of the (Citroen) gear box (approx 280bhp / 260 lb) by adding 5-7 psi from a turbo (try the K04 from Saab’s 2.8 V6 or ITB’s (that’s what I was going to do).

Any / all inspections welcome. Test drives possible with insurance.

Please contact me with questions, to get more photos or arrange a viewing.

Part exchanges considered

Thanks, Andy.

The post Lotus Esprit S3 turbo with 3.0 V6 engine conversion appeared first on lotusforsale.com.

Click to view item

• Like 1

Auto-generated post from www.lotusforsale.com - Click 'view full article' to respond to the poster.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.