free hit
counters
Hose or pipe? S2 Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Afternoon all, I’m on the home straight want to know if there is any actual advantage to fitting a braided hose. Given that I have Full access should I just make a new pipe up. The car had a hose on it when I stripped it but had been trapped and the braid damaged so don’t want to reuse. 

if a pipe is the way to go did it originally run all the way or where there flexi hoses at the ends? Does anyone know the route it took around the engine the old pipe had been removed. Assume it simply ran alongside the F/R brake pipe in the clips.

Advice welcome as to what’s best - I’ve 

thanks Franc

6B61260E-1892-48BD-B0FF-1A32B1D19BA1.jpeg

• Love 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon all, I’m on the home straight want to know if there is any actual advantage to fitting a braided hose. Given that I have Full access should I just make a new pipe up. The car had a hose on i

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Franc said:

if a pipe is the way to go did it originally run all the way or where there flexi hoses at the ends? 

All Esprits upto the V8 had the red plastic hose. If you fit a pipe you'll need to fit flexible hose at the ends to cater for vibration. ☺

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Thanks for that - Makes sense in the photo below you can see the red pipe presumably not a favoured option now, but will investigate.

Franc52F70ED0-3265-4297-BFE5-AFB55513403B.jpeg.d7f39b448e0a2a54c86a2dd82e55c9ae.jpeg

I think flexi at the transmission end would be sufficient, brake pipes are hard and attach directly to the master cylinder with no flexi, so I see no reason why a clutch pipe would be any more susceptible provided it's supported in the same way.

Thanks - think I’ll make a small bracket to attach at the rear as per the brake pipes and have a flexi to the clutch slave cylinder. As you say the front can run straight from the master like the brake pipe. Should look in keeping and I can situate the bracket and position to allow the flexi to be accessed from under the engine cover when the body is on.

Franc

Fit the flexihose. Don't mess around with pipes and flexi ends.

48722204636_f0ac002f53_b.jpg

Peter

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Must have flex at gearbox end, of course. A mate fitted his S1 with hard pipe from engine bay possibly all the way through to the master cylinder though I suspect not. Haven't looked it over for some time. I think it's more correct to fit 1/4" bore rather than the 3/16 typical of brake lines and this becomes unwieldy at the M/C end unless finished with a flex line as well. FWIW