free hit
counters
Buying advice for my first lotus - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Buying advice for my first lotus

• Gold FFM

The burnt orange car looks good, I sent it to a pal of mine who loves Evora since he drove mine a few years back. It was a leap too far price-wise as his budget is nearer £20k so he will wait (or buy a Cayman - idiot). It appears to be a fine example.

I cannot say I have heard of any issues with the close-ratio gearbox. I thought all the Toyota aspects of Evora were very robust. For me, I had to have a CR box, as I use 2nd to 3rd to 4th a lot and that is the sweet spot for me. And I don't mind high revs on the motorway, in fact I prefer it and I am often in 4th to 5th, rarely using 6th. 

I think in years to come we will see early Evora advertised with 'rare long-ratio gearbox'. They may even fetch a tiny premium. I remember when fibreglass-bodied Ferrari 308 were considered the lowest of the low by the connoisseurs, barely able to sell them over a metal-bodied later version. Now they are called Vetroresina and fetch at least double an equivalent steel car.

Justin

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got her home ok! in love  

decided just to go for it!  picking up the orange car on Thursday!.................... so excited!   cheers Paul 

Hi , I traded my S4s which I'd owned for over 17 years for a 2010 Evora NA , and I'm still smiling like a Cheshire cat . Don't get me wrong I loved cherished adored my Esprit but the Evora makes

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, jep said:

The burnt orange car looks good, I sent it to a pal of mine who loves Evora since he drove mine a few years back. It was a leap too far price-wise as his budget is nearer £20k so he will wait (or buy a Cayman - idiot). It appears to be a fine example.

I cannot say I have heard of any issues with the close-ratio gearbox. I thought all the Toyota aspects of Evora were very robust. For me, I had to have a CR box, as I use 2nd to 3rd to 4th a lot and that is the sweet spot for me. And I don't mind high revs on the motorway, in fact I prefer it and I am often in 4th to 5th, rarely using 6th. 

I think in years to come we will see early Evora advertised with 'rare long-ratio gearbox'. They may even fetch a tiny premium. I remember when fibreglass-bodied Ferrari 308 were considered the lowest of the low by the connoisseurs, barely able to sell them over a metal-bodied later version. Now they are called Vetroresina and fetch at least double an equivalent steel car.

Justin

That's interesting about the Ferrari ! I read that in the early cars there were some QA issues from the suppliers of the gearset i think in gears 3 and 4 then lotus switched to a new supplier in 2011/2012 and it was fixed. I imagine it's rare but still a little worry seeing i am looking at 2009/2010 cars. I would probably prefer the CR box but you can't have everything eh! I enquired about one down south being advertised with a CR box but the guy couldn't provide any evidence it was (just said he knew it was!) also couldn't explain the big gaps in service history!  

Looking at the ratios, they are the same in 1st and 2nd, not a huge difference in 3rd then they get a lot shorter in 4th/5th/6th. looking at speed @ 7k revs i don't think i will get out of 3rd at my local track! ha ha! :)   

Thanks for the reply's will report back after viewing today! :) 

Cheers Paul 

• Gold FFM

@fflyingdog I spoke with many many esprit/Evora owners - most once they have the Evora very rarely drive the Esprit. It’s a completely different car though - but the Evora is just so easy.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I would be interested in your views on 400 vs NA. 

All Evora are fab (except perhaps the Freddie Mercury tribute one) but NA has a certain feel on the road that the S and 400 seem to lack. Perhaps the smaller tyres and lack of supercharger. 

Brilliant to see your Evora with 100,000+ miles, great stuff.

Justin 

14 hours ago, Jason Trevor said:

Don't let the mileage worry you I have a 2011N/A with 109000 miles on her. Had a new clutch at 80k and all fine. It's in Persian blue with black pack GT4 rear wing custom barge boards and diffuser , Plack style exhaust with small muffler and BOE CAI intake sounds awesome. Its up for sale soon as I fancy a 400 but just gotta try one firstScreenshot_2017-09-16-18-27-45.thumb.png.2362776c9672b4a24f1fdb0b041f52d5.png

Beautiful car Jason! I am pretty set on the orange one but maybe whats app me more details and what your wanting price wise 07913200970. cheers Paul 

so an update guys 

Saw the Orange car again! i love it and it drives amazing. I think mechanically it is in great conditions. There are a few things cosmetically/ little niggles that are holding me back and i wanted to do a little more research before taking the plunge. We are still £500 apart on what i want to pay and the minimum he wants to take but i think i can get past that and just pay it is the fixes are not two expensive. any advice much appreciated. 

• centre console aluminium panel has some marks/ dents: looked it up and it costs £275 from lotus. just wondering if it is an easy DIY fit? image.thumb.png.bba6652e8825f2e7f67fd4f623f71a63.png
  • Front right headlight has some water/ condensation in it, anything to worry about? works fine but i looked it up and a new light is over 1k!! Also the headlight washer is sitting proud so i think a clip in the mechanism must be broken.  
  • Both window waist seals are sitting away from the window so water will run down inside the door. I will get new ones at £115 each (gulp!) and assume a simple fit but until then it will be outside and wondering if any damage can occur from water ingress into the door (looks like it will drain out the bottom and not go in the car) looks like this is a common issue with these window seals?
  • The front plate it not on so i would need to get a new plate holder (only £30) looks like the old holes have been filled in and touched up badly. how does the plate mount, Does it just screw into the bumper? or it is bolt and nuts to secure it behind the bumper? simple fix? (don't have to take he whole floor off or something silly do it?)
  • couple of other bits like the rear bumper looks not 100 percent flush at one point but not damaged so thinking it's adjustment with spacers or brackets? Final things is a gap between the top of the car at the back and the glass on the rear window. again doesn't look like any damage just a gap i imagine water can get into.image.thumb.png.ec6a1d246451b2584aeb7e31240811b4.png    image.thumb.png.03ac4a328ff4331ed1849789c3b89d83.png

Looks like i am being super picky and i know it is as 10 year old car but just don't want to be stung with a unexpected bill or ball ache problem straight from the off!

Many thanks 

Cheers Paul 

image.png

image.png

Edited by SCMTBCOACH
  • Gold FFM

Front number plate plinth screws in to the splitter. Easy job, I do mine for MOT each year. 

Damage to centre tunnel trim is common, so not to worry about. Would be nice to change it, personally I would buy the spare (in case they become unavailable) but not fit it - you are bound to drop something on it!

Justin 

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 15/10/2020 at 22:30, Kevin Wheeler said:

@DaveC72? Over to you!

Welcome to the Orange Lotus club.  You'll never lose your car in a car park again.

Burnt Orange just looks epic.  Cingratulations.

I didn't buy mine on the colour (it's the last consideration for me), it was just the right car at the right price.  Was a bit of a change from my Carbon Grey S, but wouldn't go back to a more mundane colour again.

Oh, and I much prefer the Evora without the "SR Look".

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Welcome to the Orange Lotus club.  You'll never lose your car in a car park again.

Burnt Orange just looks epic.  Cingratulations.

I didn't buy mine on the colour (it's the last consideration for me), it was just the right car at the right price.  Was a bit of a change from my Carbon Grey S, but wouldn't go back to a more mundane colour again.

Oh, and I much prefer the Evora without the "SR Look".

Yeah i was set on this car because of the work done recently but couldn't decide if i could pull off the colour but seeing it in the flesh it is amazing and glad i went for it! i think bright colours suit lotus. 

don't think i will go for the Full SR look maybe just black roof and mirrors but don't know yet going to wait abit and decide. love the full orange as well.   

Cheers Paul