free hit
counters
GT430 ride height adjustment - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My GT430 arrived on Tuesday and looking at the handbook it looks as if I could raise the ride height. I have been told it is at the standard height at the moment, does anyone know how much rise is possible as this is not mentioned.

I know this may seem a bit strange but the front splitter hits and drags when going down my drive onto the main road, for over a second so it is not a small contact. My evora S only grounded once when I went down at a too sharper angle in the 18 months I had it.

The splitter currently fitted on the car is one that was already damaged as I was concerned that this would happen so B&C took off my good splitter and fitted one that they would have chucked anyway.  Otherwise I may have to either reduce the size of the splitter or get it removed, but then it needs a GT410/GT430 sport undertray as the GT430 undertray needs the splitter to be present for it to fix to.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suggest you don’t remove or change the OEM front splitter. It is specifically designed to work in tandem with the rest of the aero, in particular the rear wing. Removing it will adversely affect the

You do know that the ride height on the Ohlins is really easy to adjust via the spring preload collars? Front can be done without even removing the wheel. Pop the wheel off for the rear. Wet

That’s the key comment. I’ve learned from bitter experience not to mess around too much with the factory recommended road &  track settings. Lots of trial & error & invariably I’ve messed

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I suggest you don’t remove or change the OEM front splitter. It is specifically designed to work in tandem with the rest of the aero, in particular the rear wing. Removing it will adversely affect the handling of the car at speed.

First step is to increase the front tyre pressures to raise the car slightly (up to 2.5 bar if necessary). Also use some heavy duty roofing tape applied to vulnerable points on the underside of the carbon splitter. This at least will help to prevent/reduce further damage. Obviously hard to source & v. expensive to replace.

Last step & last resort if all else fails is to adjust/stiffen the Ohlins front damper compression settings. (I wouldn’t deviate from the recommended road settings if at all possible). I’ve posted the settings in the GT430 club thread.

Final option is to fix the gradient on your driveway! 😉😊

• Like 1

Hi, cheers, I'll try the tyre pressures first. Have been putting some black tape on the splitter to try to see what bits are being rubbed most. Have got another that is not damaged so can play with this for the next few days.. weeks....months....years...

The drive is owned by our neighbours and we have a right of way over it. Most of the contact occurs in the middle of the main road. 

road1.JPG

It may just be the pic, but you should easily be able to get over that if you approach at an angle and get one front wheel up on the road first.  

Just thought i'd add another pic, it shows that because of the angle when coming down, i cannot see out of the passenger window down on to the 60mph road so have to shuffle back  so i can see enough so i end up pointing more to the middle of the road with the wheels angled up the rad .  just come across a forum on pistonheads with a suggestion of adding an extra interior mirror on the passenger side angled to help. coming down the road and turning left up the drive is normally contact free. Also you cannot see out of the little window on the side as its c/f on the 430, the S was clear glass.

d5.JPG

• Gold FFM

Yes visibility at offset junctions can be a real challenge.
You might be able to solve the problem with a rubber kerb ramp, or even a few bags of tarmac mix from your local DIY store to level it out? 

49 minutes ago, alicrozier said:

Try the existing rear view mirror angled to give you a 45 degree view backwards out of the passenger side.  Looks like you can approach the main road from your drive at 45 deg.

Cheers, I found the same suggestion on pistonheads regarding vans.. someone contributed..

My old Lotus Exige had no rear or 3/4 vision (but had a vestigial central rear view mirror from the Elise) so I would angle the central mirror so that it looked out of the passenger window at 45 degrees rearwards. This gave an option of pulling up at 45 deg to the junction.

So this morning i ordered a new slightly curved mirror to attach to the passenger sun visor.

Did try the increased tyre pressures but made no noticeable difference. Also did have a go at measuring the ground clearance where the manual says and the value is the expected one.

• Gold FFM

I realise the driveway isn't yours but I think tarmac's at about £50 per sqm, it looks like you only need to address where it joins the road, so less than 10sqm for sure.  Unless your neighbours a pain, I don't see why they wouldn't split the cost or let you do it and then its sorted properly.

You do know that the ride height on the Ohlins is really easy to adjust via the spring preload collars?

Front can be done without even removing the wheel. Pop the wheel off for the rear.

Wether you can get it up enough to clear the problem without affecting the handling too much is another matter of course.

I made my own tool. An old 6mm drill bit drilled into a bit of old broom handle. Patent pending.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
On 16/10/2020 at 22:04, KJD said:

Wether you can get it up enough to clear the problem without affecting the handling too much is another matter of course.

That’s the key comment. I’ve learned from bitter experience not to mess around too much with the factory recommended road &  track settings. Lots of trial & error & invariably I’ve messed up the handling. Best to stick with the recommended settings. Unless of course you have plenty of knowledge & experience in setting up these cars.

• Like 1

I presume you are turning right from the driveway onto the road and the angled entry onto the road doesn't bottom the car. The small interior mirror on the passenger side will be the cheapest solution. Another option might to put a mirror on a post on the opposite verge, if that's possible and you have permission from the land owner.