free hit
counters
Excel owner but considering Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Excel owner but considering Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, I'm newly registered but i've been lurking around here for a while trying to learn more about Esprits. I've had my Excel for 10 years now (piccy attached) but recently saw what looks like

Hi I dont think a GT3 should have a heavy clutch. My 1985 turbo is just normal. Never noticed it being any different to any normal car to be honest. The GT3 Im sure you are aware is often ci

Mediterranean blue, best colour for the Excel 😁 Mine from nearly 20 years ago 👍🏻 I am with Buddsy, the Esprit’s clutch is no heavier than any other marque of that era and the GT3 is an excel

Posted Images

Hi

I dont think a GT3 should have a heavy clutch. My 1985 turbo is just normal. Never noticed it being any different to any normal car to be honest.

The GT3 Im sure you are aware is often cited as maybe the best Esprit they made. Just about perfect. That said MJK told me he thought the late Excel were the best 9xx engine cars they made which you already have.

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Mediterranean blue, best colour for the Excel 😁

9396AF63-11A4-424C-8291-CF637C0DF4A2.thumb.jpeg.900ce4018dd956f5d416dd49b58d5849.jpegMine from nearly 20 years ago 👍🏻

I am with Buddsy, the Esprit’s clutch is no heavier than any other marque of that era and the GT3 is an excellent choice so go for it 😉

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

Excel has about the best gear change of any car ever made. It is a peach.

So anything after that may feel less pleasant. Personally, I have never enjoyed the Renault 'box in the Esprit, I much prefer the Citroen one but few agree. 

The clutch should not be heavy - early Evora are much heavier than Esprit clutch.

Adore your Excel - good luck with your search. Always fun lookin' for a new motor. 

Justin 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Mediterranean blue, best colour for the Excel 😁

9396AF63-11A4-424C-8291-CF637C0DF4A2.thumb.jpeg.900ce4018dd956f5d416dd49b58d5849.jpegMine from nearly 20 years ago 👍🏻

I am with Buddsy, the Esprit’s clutch is no heavier than any other marque of that era and the GT3 is an excellent choice so go for it 😉

Dave :) 

Its actually Pacific blue but does look light in the photo 🙂. Both great  colours, to be fair most Lotus colours are great! Thanks for the info. Just goes to show its worth asking! I know now that if the clutch is very heavy, something is not right.

• Like 2

Having owned an SE Excel for 6 years (black red pin stripes, red leather interior - best colour) and moved to an Esprit albeit a N/A 3 years ago, I would encourage you to take the plunge.

Keep both if you can, I still miss my Excel, but the styling isn't to everyones taste whereas everyone likes the Esprit.

• Like 1

Personally I think the gear change on the Esprit is down to the age of the parts and how well it’s set up. Having replaced the cables and translator, plus taking my time to set it up correctly, my Esprit gear change is better than its ever been. In fact it’s a joy to drive!!

I actually prefer the SE and S4S over the GT3, but each to their own.

I really like the excel however a sorted Turbocharged Esprit is in another league.

• Like 2