free hit
counters
New binnacle with ac vents - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My car has the older instrument binnacle with the cover glued to the instrument panel.

I am thinking of replacing it with the newer ones with the ac vent at the side of the instrument binnacle.

I am seen how my binnacle can be removed, and have since done it a few times.

I have also seen how the cover for the newer type of instrument binnacle can be removed, but was not able to find how to remove the instrument binnacle itself from the dash.

My instrument binnacle is fixed to the dash by 4 bolts bolted to 2 metal brackets which is in turn bolted to the instrument binnacle, but the newer instrument binnacle is different,

Appreciate if someone who has the knowledge can advise me , or post some photos of how the new type instrument binnacle is fixed to the dash. I noticed there are 2 screws at the bottom of the new binnacle.

First photo is my original, the 2nd and 3rd is the newer type with ac vents.

Thank you.   

OriginalBinnacle.jpg

NewBinnacle01.jpg

NewBinnacle02.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last photo gives you the answer. There's two studs that face down (the inner two), and there's two holes which correspond to two other studs facing upwards from the dash below the binnacle. So, four in total.

Margate Exotics.

52 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

The last photo gives you the answer. There's two studs that face down (the inner two), and there's two holes which correspond to two other studs facing upwards from the dash below the binnacle. So, four in total.

Thanks.

So means I will have to modify the dash a little for it to work.

Hopefully it can be done so replacing bulbs will be much easier in future.

Any idea if the pins in the connectors are similar for both type of binnacle? The connectors look similar and I am assuming they are.

2 hours ago, hspeck said:

FWIW, I replaced all the '194' size bulbs in our '88s binnacle in the mid 1990s, and they are all still working. 

Removing the binnacle to service the bulbs and instruments isn't that difficult IMO, the 4 bolts, speedometer cable, and plugs... A few minutes in the 'Lotus Position'. Job Done.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

2 hours ago, hspeck said:

Thanks.

So means I will have to modify the dash a little for it to work.

Any idea if the pins in the connectors are similar for both type of binnacle? The connectors look similar and I am assuming they are.

I don’t know.

You could have a look to see if the plugs are listed separately, and if so, check the part numbers from model to model.

Margate Exotics.

13 hours ago, CarBuff said:

FWIW, I replaced all the '194' size bulbs in our '88s binnacle in the mid 1990s, and they are all still working. 

Removing the binnacle to service the bulbs and instruments isn't that difficult IMO, the 4 bolts, speedometer cable, and plugs... A few minutes in the 'Lotus Position'. Job Done.

I have done that actually, replaced all with LEDs. but thought that replacing it with the newer type may help things a little in future since I have it with me...

13 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I don’t know.

You could have a look to see if the plugs are listed separately, and if so, check the part numbers from model to model.

Will do that.

Thanks