free hit
counters
bonnet lines / gaps - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi Guys, 

My S1 is currently in the paint shop being prepared for paint. The guys there have installed the front light pods and bonnet and the gap at the front edge of the bonnet seems a bit too big. There doesn't seem to be a way around it though, if we make the gap any smaller it will hit when it opens. 

Does this look fairly normal for a single headlight S1 ?

bonnet3.jpg

bonnet2.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys,    My S1 is currently in the paint shop being prepared for paint. The guys there have installed the front light pods and bonnet and the gap at the front edge of the bonnet seems a b

Looks god to me. At least I know what mine might look like when it gets prep'd.  

That looks fine 👍🏻

Posted Images

Looks god to me. At least I know what mine might look like when it gets prep'd.

• Like 1

Your bonnet gap looks just as bad as my S1 hahaha just be careful you don't fall down the gap when you wash the car :)

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

6 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Your bonnet gap looks just as bad as my S1 hahaha just be careful you don't fall down the gap when you wash the car :)

Haha, I’ll make sure I’m wearing a harness whilst working on my headlights. 

some photos I see of the bonnet gaps are tiny! I guess they fitted better hinges on later models . 

Edited by omegaman

Looks good to me. I think the nice things about the white cars is that the panels are outlined by the gaps. Sort of defines then.

Then you have my black car. Same gaps. Not visible.

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

20 hours ago, omegaman said:

Haha, I’ll make sure I’m wearing a harness whilst working on my headlights. 

some photos I see of the bonnet gaps are tiny! I guess they fitted better hinges on later models . 

Yes they did. The early cars have a hinge like something off a garden gate but the later cars had a much more elaborate hinge.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Yes they did. The early cars have a hinge like something off a garden gate but the later cars had a much more elaborate hinge.

I thought so, I don't remember my old S2 being like that. 

I noticed the old hinge plates weren't too clever either, maybe a factory adjustment 🙂

IMG-6971.JPG

IMG-6972.JPG

56 minutes ago, omegaman said:

I thought so, I don't remember my old S2 being like that. 

I noticed the old hinge plates weren't too clever either, maybe a factory adjustment 🙂

Yeah they look the same as mine although one looks as though it's been modified? Mine both look like your top picture. You can buy new ones from SJ.

Are you aware that with the early hinges if you have the bonnet open and lift the headlight pods they will hit the back edge of the bonnet and there will be a terrible cracking noise!!

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Yeah they look the same as mine although one looks as though it's been modified? Mine both look like your top picture. You can buy new ones from SJ.

Are you aware that with the early hinges if you have the bonnet open and lift the headlight pods they will hit the back edge of the bonnet and there will be a terrible cracking noise!!

Yes I have new ones from SJ. Yes I figured that's what the small micro switch was for, to disable the headlight motor. 

• Like 1

If you change the colour to something even a little darker, the perceived gap will appear to be smaller. Also, if you are spraying filler (upol etc) it will also slightly close the gap.

I would be keen to ensure all of the gaps in that area are the same rather than how wide they are. If you would like to close the gap, it’s very easy. Use resin and microsphere powder with some strand. Blob it on and then sand it back. Sounds primitive but it works - quick and easy. Finished product is perfect.

EFA56AA3-222E-4CB8-B5B5-637C7CB9B9F9.jpeg

5BA0A648-9B42-4FC0-AB47-FB600739DB25.jpeg