free hit
counters
Illumination to the window switches - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

I am refurbing the 2 x window switches (Lucas 182SA 33852) which have the green window at the top for illumination.

Question ...

Is it possible, and if so, how do I get illumination to them?

('85 MY TE)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The window switches on my S3 N/A are identical and don't have  bulb holders for illumination either. From the photos neither do yours. As per Henry's post if I were ever after doing this job, rather t

My USA '85 does not have illumination on the window switches. The switches face away from my line of sight, so don't see the need. But I'm sure a pair of LEDS could be placed in/behind the switches to

Posted Images

Do they? I've never noticed any illumination, but mine is an earlier car. @Buddsy Scott, are your window switches illuminated?

• Gold FFM

Switch viewed from the back - you can see the green illumination wiindow at the top. The switch also has the ribbed toggle (pic) and here's the original part number (pic). Also attached is the switch wiring diagram - which means nothing to me (yet), but may inspire someone to understand if/how to get illumination working ...  

windowswitch3.jpg

windowswitch12.jpg

windowswitch4.jpg

Lucas-relays pdf.jpg

• Gold FFM

I am pretty sure these were not illuminated from factory. I would like mine to be illuminated though - so keep me posted if you put in place the wiring to do it! I am guessing two options - 1) you illuminate similar to the headlights switch with a small bulb or 2) you illuminate using the fibre optic system which theoretically illuminates the dash switches (other than headlights switch). NB, I am talking from the point of view of an S3 NA and I am not sure if the turbo was different. 

The window switches on my S3 N/A are identical and don't have  bulb holders for illumination either. From the photos neither do yours. As per Henry's post if I were ever after doing this job, rather than running copper to them  I'd fit  a couple of extra strands of optic fibre from the central light box for the switch illumination behind the dash down to the window switches and make some sort of holders to keep the fibre in place at either end. While I was at it I'd probably fit a much brighter green LED bulb in that light box as well 

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

On my '84 U.S.A. Federal version they are illuminated (from factory/original). I've struggled with this very issue on my headlight switch. I could never find an illuminated one (with similar window in green) so I ended up strategically cutting out the window from the original housing & putting into a new generic switch. It works. I would still love to see new switches made with this very option :( sadly I cannot find any - anywhere :(

I forgot to mention - the light source for the headlight switch came from what appeared to be a "fiber optic" type of little plastic clear line that brought the light to the switch, it all appeared to be original to me because I did not find any splicing into harness & the little plastic line/optic plastic translucent line was neatly wrapped up into the existing factory loom :)

6 hours ago, canamfan said:

the light source for the headlight switch came from what appeared to be a "fiber optic" type of little plastic clear line that brought the light to the switch, 

That's different to mine. The headlight switch has a small bulb fitted in a holder behind the green illumination window which comes on with the ignition.  The fiber optics wires run from that light box to the illumination windows on the other switches in the dash but not the window switches. 

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

My USA '85 does not have illumination on the window switches. The switches face away from my line of sight, so don't see the need. But I'm sure a pair of LEDS could be placed in/behind the switches to light them easier than running optic all the way from the binnacle.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Neat idea @snowrx , and also removes the need for the shroud holding the fibre cable. Just need to find a couple of new donor switch cases and work out wiring for power etc. If I get really bright LEDs, they could look like interior torches 😉 😂

10 hours ago, thebartman said:

If I get really bright LEDs, they could look like interior torches 😉 😂

Mind that you don't create distracting measures of light on the interior surfaces, could be counterproductive after darkness falls.