free hit
counters
Couple of questions - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all many thanks for everybody help with finding my car

A few days in and picking up my first few "lotus" ownership niggles and wanted a we bit of advice 

• I have had a small issue with the spanner light coming on before starting the car. I have looked in the manual and that means electrical fault but it seems to be intermittent and I can't say there is anything wrong with the car (apart from the alarm went off once randomly) something to worry about or a common fault? Currently thinking that i will just leave it and see if it continues and if so seek local dealer help
  • Both foot wells the carpet was a little damp (not soaking) after it's first rainy drive/ night out in the rain. The window waist seals are not in great nick with a gap for the water to get down the side of the window so i will get new ones of these but water doesn't' seem to get getting into the car from here so thinking where else it could be getting in from? (also where is the best place to get new waistline seals etc from?) 
  • Both head light (the right one is worse) have condensation inside the light. I was going to whip them out and send them away for a referb anyway but does anybody know of any companies who heat them up to open them up and reseal them? (i saw it on you tube but i am not brave enough to do it myself!)
  • Tyres wise the car is on the original Pirellis and i should have checked but looked now and they are 2012 tyres so past there best (also the rears are low) so going to go for Michelin but they don't do the PS4S in the 100 percent correct sizes. So question is do I go for normal PS4 all round or go for PS4 front (in the correct 225 x 40 x 18) and then PS4S rear or wider 235 PS4S on the front so it is PS4S all round? 
  •  BOE induction kit: Definitely need more noise and drama in the so thinking i will go for the BOE system which is currently $515 plus $150 postage from the US so about £550 GPB. assuming the postage doesn't included import duty? So need to add that on (anybody got an idea of total cost if they have bought one from the US?) question is, is there any other options for similar kit available in the UK/ Europe?   

Many thanks for your time 

Cheers Paul 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PSS and PS4S combo is good if you're looking for a more focus car and was the best option at that time in 18/19. Now if PS4 is now available in the right sizes all around and if you're only looki

You will need a code reader to investigate the spanner issue and look for pending and stored codes. The door to window seals are pretty critical it seems on the Evora in keeping floor mats dry. W

I second that! I too inherited mine, so cannot for sure say how much different the sound is. What you will have over the chaps with RHD, is that with your window down, the intake is at your ear a

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

You will need a code reader to investigate the spanner issue and look for pending and stored codes.

The door to window seals are pretty critical it seems on the Evora in keeping floor mats dry. Worse is to come if you ignore it - the window modules will get shagged - so sort that out before it gets expensive.

headlights - most modern cars do suffer with it. I’d be tempted to try and fix that in the shed by drying them out.

tyres - 8 years old - they will be terrible - get them swapped out ASAP. It always amazes me how folks put up with old rubber on any lotus.

no idea on BOE - I was lucky mine had it on already - but you sure do notice the sucking sound 🤛

• Like 1

Only here once

36 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

You will need a code reader to investigate the spanner issue and look for pending and stored codes.

An ODB reader won’t read the spanner codes. That’s a Lotus Techcentre only thing. But spanner codes are minor issues (which will probably disappear after a certain number of starts). 

The best combo for the 18/19” wheels are PSS on the front and PS4S on the rears. Otherwise, get yourself a set of 19/20”s. They look better, weigh about the same and you can have PS4S all around. 

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

The door to window seals are pretty critical it seems on the Evora in keeping floor mats dry. Worse is to come if you ignore it - the window modules will get shagged - so sort that out before it gets expensive.

headlights - most modern cars do suffer with it. I’d be tempted to try and fix that in the shed by drying them out.

tyres - 8 years old - they will be terrible - get them swapped out ASAP. It always amazes me how folks put up with old rubber on any lotus.

no idea on BOE - I was lucky mine had it on already - but you sure do notice the sucking sound 🤛

Thanks for the advice, will order up some window seals ASAP, assuming just direct from lotus is the best bet? The tyres are still surprisingly grippy although I did have a large-ish "oversteer moment" today which was fun! (sort of!) so yes going to change them asap. 

Do you like your BOE? it's either that or a louder exhaust but i don't want it too loud on the outside and it looks like the BOE give abit more power and throttle response as well which is always nice! 

Cheers Paul 

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

An ODB reader won’t read the spanner codes. That’s a Lotus Techcentre only thing. But spanner codes are minor issues (which will probably disappear after a certain number of starts). 

The best combo for the 18/19” wheels are PSS on the front and PS4S on the rears. Otherwise, get yourself a set of 19/20”s. They look better, weigh about the same and you can have PS4S all around. 

Ah that makes sense as my ODB reader wasn't' showing any codes! 

not keen on the PSS on the front from previous experience. I think PS4 for the road should be good and then a more focused tyre for the track on a separate set of wheels if i decide to get into track days more with the car. 

many thanks Cheers Paul 

• Gold FFM

Can’t comment on the BOE - it was already fitted on mine before I purchased it - along with the third cat delete pipe. It’s fruity when pushed - but not particularly screaming.

Only here once

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

but you sure do notice the sucking sound 🤛

I second that! I too inherited mine, so cannot for sure say how much different the sound is.

What you will have over the chaps with RHD, is that with your window down, the intake is at your ear and you can almost feel the suck, let alone hear it..!

• Haha 1

I went PS4 all round on my NA after looking at the PS4s option with slightly wider front tyres. The PS4 is the better all round tyre esp in winter / wet conditions and they are also cheaper. The car has enough rubber on the road and grip so no need to go wider. I was expecting to get quite alot more mileage out of my rear PS4 tyres but I would say they are only marginally better wear wise than the Pirellis - they will need changing at 6k miles, but most of my miles are "fun" miles so not too bothered.  They have word evenly . so nothing to do with poor alignment.

Re induction - I have the Radium system on mine which is great but no longer available. I would try H111 and ES Motorsport to see what they have.

8 hours ago, SCMTBCOACH said:

not keen on the PSS on the front from previous experience. I think PS4 for the road should be good 

PSS/PS4S is the recommended combo from ‘our’ resident tyre expert, @rallyesax.

1 hour ago, Whitey said:

I went PS4 all round on my NA after looking at the PS4s option with slightly wider front tyres. The PS4 is the better all round tyre esp in winter / wet conditions and they are also cheaper. The car has enough rubber on the road and grip so no need to go wider. I was expecting to get quite alot more mileage out of my rear PS4 tyres but I would say they are only marginally better wear wise than the Pirellis - they will need changing at 6k miles, but most of my miles are "fun" miles so not too bothered.  They have word evenly . so nothing to do with poor alignment.

Re induction - I have the Radium system on mine which is great but no longer available. I would try H111 and ES Motorsport to see what they have

yeah my thoughts were they would be best for wet conditions (i live in Scotland!) and i won't get to the limit of grip on the road and if i go to the track i will run a different set of wheels with more track focused rubber. assuming you prefer them to the Pirelli's? 

44 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

PSS/PS4S is the recommended combo from ‘our’ resident tyre expert, @rallyesax.

problem is i think the PSS and pretty much discontinued now?! 

PSS and PS4S combo is good if you're looking for a more focus car and was the best option at that time in 18/19.

Now if PS4 is now available in the right sizes all around and if you're only looking for a good sporty tire on road use, that might be the best path for you to follow. 

And switch on 19/20 for track days with some serious rubber 😜

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

PSS and PS4S combo is good if you're looking for a more focus car and was the best option at that time in 18/19.

Now if PS4 is now available in the right sizes all around and if you're only looking for a good sporty tire on road use, that might be the best path for you to follow. 

And switch on 19/20 for track days with some serious rubber 😜

Cheers for the reply. I can't believe the grip on a set of 8 year old worn out tyres so can't imagine really wanting that final few percent on the road. I already have a second set of wheels in 18/19 so probably go with those for now. My car is an NA so not a mega amount of power so don't know if it needs the extra rubber on the road? any recommendations for a dedicated track tyre in the 18/19 sizes much appreciated. 

Cheers Paul 

3 hours ago, SCMTBCOACH said:

problem is i think the PSS and pretty much discontinued now?! 

Nope. They seem to be readily available: https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-super-sport/225/40/R18/Y/92/m?tyre=35790907&gclid=Cj0KCQjw59n8BRD2ARIsAAmgPmJgeNEYyOghdOq91Hngwj_UwVp4EqQepUcdVccH1MG_zI8c6Fyuv1AaAth_EALw_wcB

Regarding tyres I have used PS4, SS and currently using PS4S on my NA Evora with 18/19 wheel combo.

If you are looking for good sporty ride just for the road and not too bothered about absolute ultimate grip then the PS4 are a very good tyre you will not be disappointed.

If you want to do a few track days and or drive the car hard.  Then I found the SS coped with the higher temps a track day generates better than the PS4 and its grip and performance stayed more consistent and you do longer stints before the tyre got too hot.  The SS was slightly poorer on the roads in wet and cold conditions but far from terrible still very usable in those conditions unlike a Cup2 which would require you to be very gentle.

The PS4S is not available in the correct width for the 18inch front tyre but after advice from here saying a Lotus handling engineer said it was OK to change the width a little bit with no effect I went with full PS4S all round.   On the road at normal speeds very hard to tell the difference between the other tyres.  Out on fun drive on some good roads you can feel the slightly quicker turn in a bit more grip and feedback too.  No problems in the rain either.  I have not had a chance to use the tyre on the track yet, hopefully next year!

Edited by electro_boy
  • Like 1

I also got a BOE CAI fitted and I think every car should come with one as standard.  The extra induction noise is amazing adds a lot more quality to the noise not just volume (which is only a bit louder).

ES motorsport have a aftermarket induction kit for the V6 Exige which is almost the same engine, just a slightly different throttle body connection on the supercharged cars.   They might be able to modify it for the NA Evora.

3rd Cat delete pipe also gives the car a more mature sound and again a slight increase in volume but not crazy loud.   Should be a relatively cheap upgrade as is ensentially a pipe with bend and fitting for a sensor.

Edited by electro_boy
  • Like 1

There were a few reported airflow problems with the Radium kit in the US. BOE kit does not throw any engine codes and its a ITG filter is possible to mock it all up yourself but I could not be arsed. Thought I had got away with import duty as I got BOE kit just as lockdown started but had a nice import duty bill off UPS a few weeks later from what I can remember about £120 Paul.

15 minutes ago, Jason Trevor said:

There were a few reported airflow problems with the Radium kit in the US. BOE kit does not throw any engine codes and its a ITG filter is possible to mock it all up yourself but I could not be arsed. Thought I had got away with import duty as I got BOE kit just as lockdown started but had a nice import duty bill off UPS a few weeks later from what I can remember about £120 Paul.

So under £650 total? looking at the USD to GPB looks like its about £520 for kit plus postage. how are you enjoying it compared to stock? do you feel it gives more power? BOE are claiming 20 bhp i think which sounds like quick alot. 10 bhp, some more noise and better throttle response would be ace for £650 

Cheers Paul 

4 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Regarding tyres I have used PS4, SS and currently using PS4S on my NA Evora with 18/19 wheel combo.

If you are looking for good sporty ride just for the road and not too bothered about absolute ultimate grip then the PS4 are a very good tyre you will not be disappointed.

If you want to do a few track days and or drive the car hard.  Then I found the SS coped with the higher temps a track day generates better than the PS4 and its grip and performance stayed more consistent and you do longer stints before the tyre got too hot.  The SS was slightly poorer on the roads in wet and cold conditions but far from terrible still very usable in those conditions unlike a Cup2 which would require you to be very gentle.

The PS4S is not available in the correct width for the 18inch front tyre but after advice from here saying a Lotus handling engineer said it was OK to change the width a little bit with no effect I went with full PS4S all round.   On the road at normal speeds very hard to tell the difference between the other tyres.  Out on fun drive on some good roads you can feel the slightly quicker turn in a bit more grip and feedback too.  No problems in the rain either.  I have not had a chance to use the tyre on the track yet, hopefully next year!

Great to hear your feedback many thanks

I have gone for PS4 for now and maybe will maybe will upgrade to the other set of wheels to a more track focused tyre in the future if i decide to do lots of track. 

4 hours ago, electro_boy said:

I also got a BOE CAI fitted and I think every car should come with one as standard.  The extra induction noise is amazing adds a lot more quality to the noise not just volume (which is only a bit louder).

ES motorsport have a aftermarket induction kit for the V6 Exige which is almost the same engine, just a slightly different throttle body connection on the supercharged cars.   They might be able to modify it for the NA Evora.

3rd Cat delete pipe also gives the car a more mature sound and again a slight increase in volume but not crazy loud.   Should be a relatively cheap upgrade as is ensentially a pipe with bend and fitting for a sensor.

I already have the 3rd cat delete and lotus sports exhaust so i think the BOE will add that bit extra but not be too loud like adding a straight through plack style exhaust. did you notice any power increase/ throttle response when you fitted it? 

in other news when investigating the water ingress into my car seems that mine is pretty average from other peoples stories but also found i can push the waist seal back up to the window which is good, just need to work out how to make them stay there now! 

also need some new TPMS sensors for the second set of wheels so any recommendations as where to get them much appreciated. cheers Paul   

On 26/10/2020 at 20:03, SCMTBCOACH said:

also need some new TPMS sensors for the second set of wheels so any recommendations as where to get them much appreciated. 

They are a Saab/GM part so they are reasonably easy to get hold of. The USA seems to be the cheapest source. I suggest a search on here for the part number. 

@SCMTBCOACH I'm planning to change the TPMS sensors on my Lauch edition next year when I get a set of PS4 tyres fitted all round, so did some research and found these OEM TPMS sensors on Ebay from a supplier in Leicestershire, UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383421007489

OEM.jpg.227978f5cac86bcc5fbd84c71cb619c8.jpg

And non-OE source as well (from Germany), which are cheaper and will proabably do the job for under £100:

image.jpeg.fa9504f86579d62be8b6e7c001ef8867.jpeg

Elise Shop also has a non-OE alternative that is the most expensive option at £60 per corner + P&P:

https://www.elise-shop.com/tyre-pressure-sensor-tpmselise-exige-evora-exige-v6-p-503370.html?zenid=7rmcahl1t35uva1rjcfspv4m15

image.jpeg.93ae8904513dc365953ca86eeb6a4b74.jpeg

Edited by EuropaSman
  • Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

It’s possible to source them for much cheaper prices than those above. ^^^^

Once again, this has come up lots of times before so I suggest running a search. 

The Elise Shop ones are Autel MX sensors, which cost in the region of about £25ish, but need programming (hence why they are £60 a corner from there). I guess it depends if you want to faff with the programming or just "fit and forget". The Huf ones are pre-programmed.

I've done quite a few searches (and had read the above thread) and the best price I've come up with for pre-programmed sensors is about £23.50 per unit.

Anyone able to source programmed TPMS sensors/sensors+programmer for less?

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

8 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

@SCMTBCOACH I'm planning to change the TPMS sensors on my Lauch edition next year when I get a set of PS4 tyres fitted all round, so did some research and found these OEM TPMS sensors on Ebay from a supplier in Leicestershire, UK:

OEM.jpg.227978f5cac86bcc5fbd84c71cb619c8.jpg

And non-OE source as well (from Germany), which are cheaper and will proabably do the job for under £100:

image.jpeg.fa9504f86579d62be8b6e7c001ef8867.jpeg

Elise Shop also has a non-OE alternative that is the most expensive option at £60 per corner + P&P:

https://www.elise-shop.com/tyre-pressure-sensor-tpmselise-exige-evora-exige-v6-p-503370.html?zenid=7rmcahl1t35uva1rjcfspv4m15

image.jpeg.93ae8904513dc365953ca86eeb6a4b74.jpeg

many thanks for the reply

question is weather its is worth the extra cash to buy the saab ones? I found some copies abit cheaper than that on ebay for £70 again from germany but wondering if anybody had gone for them and they had been ok/ reliable. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-TPMS-Reifendrucksensoren-Metallventil-Gunmetal-fur-Lotus-Elise-Evora-Exige-Sa/283644230844

Edited by Bravo73
Longest link. Ever.
  • Like 1