free hit
counters
De-seamed S3 body? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi
Does anyone have experience of de-seaming the horizontal body line joining the two halves of the mould?

There's an Esprit on Bring A Trailer, where this has been done. It looks significantly better, but has the strength of the join been compromised?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-lotus-esprit-4/

Many thanks for advice on this.

Simon P

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree it looks quite clean but they should really have the seam as intended.  

Take a closer look at the rear section meeting the rest of the rear 1/4 panel on that '86 on Bring a trailer - it sticks out & looks unfinished & the entire bottom section (from where the stri

@Simon P it can be done without compromising strength, but it does mean reinforcing the area on the reverse. I'm sure there is a thread on here about it but haven't looked.

I like the look, and I'm not so sure it "should" be there , as in I think it wasn't designed to be there by Giugiaro. So, it may not be original without the seam but it's nice without it.

https://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_S1_and_S2.htm

Take a closer look at the rear section meeting the rest of the rear 1/4 panel on that '86 on Bring a trailer - it sticks out & looks unfinished & the entire bottom section (from where the strip should be & downwards, basically that belt line)  almost looks as though it's all been faded in/out with body filler to wash away the protruding edge of  where the black trim/strip used to be. Some are already talking about the integrity it may or may not present in future stress use. That Esprit needs to be sold to someone who will save it from further deviation & experiments that could take it further into not only financial depreciation but an emotional one too that sadly gives these beauties the undeserved reputation of cobbled kit cars. 

• Like 1