Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
accuracy dashboard gauges - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

accuracy dashboard gauges

Go to solution Solved by rowald,

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of an Esprit SE , LHD, chargecooled, in the Netherlands.

The car drives fine, everything works okay, but one minor issue.

Once I switch on lights, vents, whiper, or horn, all the readings from the dahboard gauges change.  FY,temperature goes from 80 to 100, battery power from 13 to 11, oil pressure reading goes up etc.

It seems like there is a poor earth connection to the dash, but where to look for it? Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks a lot,

Rowald Pouderoyen

alpinelotus.jpg

Edited by rowald
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice looking Esprit! 😻

First action is to measure your voltage under those conditions. Post back with results.

If it still has the OEM Valeo alternator, look directly below that, on the A/C compressor. If black goo has dripped onto the compressor, the voltage regulator is starting to fail (a common occurrence). This can shorten the life of the battery as well.

+++++++++++++++

Did you buy the Alpine as a transmission parts source?  (Just kidding...)😆

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hey CarBuff,

Thanks for your swift reply!

I checked the voltage at the battery:

When engine off: 11,6 V with lights off and 11,5 V with lights on;

When engine running: 13,8 V with lights off and 13,7 V with lights on.

I didn't find any black goo on the compressor, the alternator and regulator looks clean and dry.

So...any other place where to look?

PS: There is only a small sea between France and England; maybe that's why they both built fabulous cars........

Rowald

I think you are correct then, sounds as if the gauges (or grounds/earths) are lacking a good connection.

Old British cars (Esprits up to the Stevens body style) have a voltage stabilizer, but your SE doesn't. You should be able to remove the top cover of the instrument binnacle to check with a multimeter.  But it might be easier to 'Assume the Lotus position' (head under dashboard, feet sticking out roof 😆 ) and re-seat the connectors to the binnacle.

The cabin's 'earth' point is in the left A pillar.  The 12V power comes in from the rear, in a similar manner, at the RH A pillar (picture attached).

Esprit + lug in A pillar.jpg

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue on my SE.  If I'm getting low on fuel, I just turn the lights on - it gives me another couple of gallons!

I remember the same thing happened in all of my old Fiat 124 sports (about 10 over the years).

Did you end up sorting this?  I replaced the walnut dash fascia so have had the whole binnacle off several times, therefore plugging/unplugging connectors, so they should be fine.  They certainly looked in good condition.

• Solution

Hi Terry,

No, I did not solve this problem yet. I double checked and cleaned all the ground connections, but did not unplug/plug the connectors inside the binnacle.

I will try this and let know. Realy looking forward to go into the footwell upside down.....not.....

Rowald

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

TIP:

RAIL ZIP is a high tech concentrated corrosion inhibitor and track cleaner. RAIL-ZIP penetrates existing corrosion layers and restores electrical conductivity to all model railroad tracks. It eliminates arching and sparking to assure total layout integrity. The uses for RAIL-ZIP extend beyond model railroading, anywhere you have electrical contacts and corrosion problems you can use RAIL-ZIP. Auto and motorcycle connectors, plugs and fuses can remain trouble free making sure your new, classic or antique electrical systems won’t cause problems. Outdoor lighting fixtures will be more reliable requiring less maintenance. Because RAIL-ZIP works chemically and not mechanically, hard to reach contacts can be easily treated.

Rail Zip corrosion Inhibitor.jpg

• Thanks 1

MrDangerUS