free hit
counters
Reverse camera problems - experiences? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

2010 NA

Last 2 weeks the screen shows up mostly black with some specs of light of moving pixels, when reverse is selected. 

Switching in and out of reverse ~3 times and the picture does appear, but sometimes redish.

I did a search but can only find no picture = dead cameras. Since mine sometimes works Im guessing and hoping its cables aging badly. Anyone had and resolved cable/connection problems?

134,000 miles now. Still loving her 😊

Edited by series_one
Typo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a set of mirrors on the door. Justsayin’

So, there is white plug spliced into the Alpine camera cable. You can see the Lotus applied white sticker with a Lotus part number. This is cool as it makes it easier to change the camera. Multiple ti

Looks German to me

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

134,000 miles: brilliant.

I would give a Lotus main dealer a call, such as Bell and Colvill. Or e-mail them. B&C replaced the camera shortly after my purchase of Evora 2010 NA; rear bumper off etc... so perhaps they have some experience of various problems and could assist with some advise. Phil Marking is the service manager at B&C and always helpful.

Of course, reversing cameras are for wimps so I would just leave as it........(B&C fixed mine for free, had they not I would not have bothered).

Justin

It may be worth plugging in another camera to the rear of the head unit just to confirm the fault is external to it? It does sound like its the camera to me as other  wise as you mentioned it would be a case of picture or no picture. Is it an Alpine head unit as they had some module near the sub (i think) for the camera. Or you could try one of the wireless ones that get power from the reverse light?

Gav

I'm not sure whether the Alpine head unit needs the 'box' near the sub, or the Alpine camera needs it?

I have a Pioneer head unit that did work with the Alpine camera and 'box', but has since failed. I haven't got around to investigating whether its the 'box' the camera of just a dodgy connection somewhere.

Plugging in a cheap ebay camera will test the head unit though.

My camera did the same and stopped working think after a jet wash so no longer do that. I took off rear bumper and fitted this camera  Alpine HCE-C1100 HDR Camera I connected new camera to the old camera cables in the boot behind the Plastic cover cap that covers the  boot locking mechanism , and it worked didn't fancy routing new cables to head unit. I bought camera off eBay The seller was called   "audio_for_fun " This is item number 4958043888603

Also replaced a faulty parking sensor while bumper was off

• Gold FFM

Mine did this, again I think as a result of jet washing (I am more careful now). Was a bit strange as the odd occasion it would work ok but mostly didn’t. Bell and Colvill had a look but couldn’t find anything wrong, typically it worked for them.

It took a few weeks but now it seems to work 95% of the time and on the odd occasion I get the black pixelated screen. 

12194D3B-57B5-41A5-AB92-31E43CD2DE71.jpeg.f2a4f65701a8188233873e2d6fd50957.jpegB6127EC6-A420-498C-B9E3-355DE0655661.jpeg.9ea74ddba6baa9d4e2be7a2f6ccb83f3.jpegBDF0FDF1-5DEE-4320-92D1-7B6143538EA4.jpeg.59cafe945cf9e4d45a4537bba25877f2.jpegA0381690-8014-46BC-B946-FD964CB971BC.jpeg.0bfd1836add1bfd021e9f63622e9ca07.jpeg8C763CAD-B9D5-45E4-95F2-52287DAB8F9F.jpeg.f6faf85301e056892528c772c7fd322a.jpegC083F38B-D850-4561-91A6-29FFE3FE223A.jpeg.83b621f03a84d7e26c139ffb63623f0c.jpegC083F38B-D850-4561-91A6-29FFE3FE223A.jpeg.83b621f03a84d7e26c139ffb63623f0c.jpeg173637C7-DA64-4728-B759-BD56B78AF9FD.jpeg.8c5c4a49a2ff31ce32fcf4e1eb6c5aa7.jpeg0186606E-CA14-4A38-ABAA-7615774CEF68.jpeg.a22ecfe8230f4166a32b60a61d5dde00.jpeg52095B4C-7ACB-490B-984D-E07D82CAD73E.jpeg.2c41469f98862f21705c6e8a00b2566c.jpeg

So, there is white plug spliced into the Alpine camera cable. You can see the Lotus applied white sticker with a Lotus part number. This is cool as it makes it easier to change the camera. Multiple times unplugging and contact cleaner soraying and replugging brought back perfect image. Zip tieing the cable back in place a plastic trim panel and carpet back in place; ....and back to basically dark red / black image again. 

The 5 wires in the camera lead and plug are, +,-, and R, G, B.  So it looks like there is a problem in either the Green or Blue, or both wires. As slight pressure from zip tie has cocked the connection.  More work on it this week. 

The photos are all rotated different ways but you get the idea. Moustache is my mate who was curious to help. Much more enjoyable doing such things with a friend 🙂

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

It was rather hit and miss for a long time chap. Just get a new camera.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

did remember you saying that, a wiggle of the connecting block is worth a try first as id have to disconnect at the same point for a new camera but the ebay link is a blessing because i believe lotus want £280 for a camera

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

You can use pretty much any camera chap - they are standard things.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

bugger 🥶 so the connector seemed not a good fit and initial thoughts looked like loose connection but after a wiggle and some contact cleaner no picture still 🥶 could it be the camera module ? or is it 9/10 times a faulty camera ? the replacement camera as listed on flea bay would that have the right connector on it ? (soz for all the questions😚)

From responses on here and other forums seems the camera module fails is reasonably common. So I would try that first. 

can you post the eBay link again please? I had a scan through this thread and couldn’t see one? 

4 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

From responses on here and other forums seems the camera module fails is reasonably common. So I would try that first. 

I have bought a number of the cheap ebay ones and 2 have failed  - 1 just as I was testing it after I installed it. . The cheap monitors on the other hand have been ok apart from one that fitted over the reverse view mirror that came knackered and was a more complicated thing. The cheap reversing sensors I have had do fail more and then I replace the sensor and module.

• Gold FFM
26 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

can you post the eBay link again please? I had a scan through this thread and couldn’t see one? 

all can get quite expensive by trial and error which is why id rather to test and trace (no covid pun intended) good point from another thread is check reversing light working as it seems power to camera comes via this circuit to eliminate blown fuse from list of culprits

• Gold FFM

I believe the cameras get damp and then things get intermittent. Barry is right, you are probably best off replacing the camera.

cheers

-Chris

• Like 1

Do you have the factory fitted camera or aftermarket fitted camera?

If factory fitted and you want to reuse the existing loom then you are going to have to buy an Alpine camera with their 5 pin connector.   Or a camera that is compatible with the Alpine connector. 

Most the ones on eBay use the composite video standard with an RCA plug which won’t plug into the factory loom.

I don’t know what the pins on the Alpine connector do but it maybe possible to remove the alpine connector and rca plug and splice the two together but you’d have to find a pin out diagram for that. 

if you are happy doing the rewireing then most Alpine if not all support rca video connection on the back do you could buy camera or eBay and add in new wiring into the head unit. 

• Gold FFM

its an alpine camera (original or not one cant tell) i have seen rca to the 5pin adapter leads but would be simpler to buy the camera with the correct plug, ive written to a couple of ebayers with pics of the plug and detailed the head unit so will see what they come back with

• Gold FFM

so neither company replied, which, when your trying to purchase something from them, always frustrates me !!! so ive now written to alpine with the hope they can suggest a replacement camara that has the same plug (anyone know what that is called ? i think many have an rca plug which isnt right) meantime ill just drive forward lol