free hit
counters
X180 NA rear toe adjustment - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, AndyPG said:

Hi HsPeck,

Seeing as you have discovered shims on both sides of the front upper ball joint, I agree with your approach.

Andy.

 

......assuming the geo shop knows the peculiarities of an Esprit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Basically messing around trying to guesstimate your GEO with calculations of 1mm here to 1 mm there will just put you in a world of hurt.. you can end up with your rear end sort of tracked but on the

Hi hspeck, Using a simple geometry calculation could help you with this if no-one knows. If the rear radius arm measures say 600mm from its front pivot to the centre of the drive shaft, a 10

Hi hspeck, Most alignment centres don't seem to want to get involved beyond adjusting threaded rods and lock nuts. It's only the performance specialists that will, and probably should, engag

Posted Images

Caster adjustment is about the fore-aft position of the wheel, and after adjustments/shimming is to ensure that the wheel is in the correct position and the components are under as little stress possible.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ekwan said:

Caster adjustment is about the fore-aft position of the wheel, and after adjustments/shimming is to ensure that the wheel is in the correct position and the components are under as little stress possible.

Hi Eric,

With the greatest respect, I'm not sure you've entirely nailed caster theory there.

Caster relates to the steering axis pivot angle rather than wheel position.

Positive caster actually increases stresses to a degree, causing the steering wheel to self-centre improving high speed stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

Andy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AndyPG said:

Hi Eric,

With the greatest respect, I'm not sure you've entirely nailed caster theory there.

Caster relates to the steering axis pivot angle rather than wheel position.

Positive caster actually increases stresses to a degree, causing the steering wheel to self-centre improving high speed stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

Andy.

In a nutshell yes. For, a layman perhaps, for the uninitiated, no.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ekwan said:

In a nutshell yes. For, a layman perhaps, for the uninitiated, no.

 

But for the time being, the only caster adjustment for Esprit is fore-aft only, achieved by shimming.

Edited by ekwan
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Been some time, and finally had the wheels aligned in one of the shop.

Will be doing another alignment next year after the corner weight adjustment.

The alignment seems quite alright, except maybe the caster is a little less than spec, and the shop adjusted the camber more for the rear (I have adjustable top links) but i should be able to drive around till Jan 2021..

2020DecWheelAlignment.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...