free hit
counters
Walnut Instrument panel - X180 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Walnut Instrument panel - X180

Does anyone know if it is possible to find replacement walnut instrument panels? Mine are cracked and the surround around the air vents have flaked off. Would much prefer to maintian the original look than the black plastic ones i see available.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could strip the veneer off, clean it nicely and then hydro dip it walnut. Finish of with a clearcoat and it will be as new. Or carbonfiber or snakeskinn 😁..... endless possibilities. Google t

Hi @Daniel Rowe, If you want to have it remade (partially or just a new veneer or new varnish or whatever) I would recommend Philippe Dehaye. He makes an extremely good job. If I had a problem wi

I had the same problem, but wasn't a fan of the wood anyway. Instead of fitting plastic, I stripped the veneer off and then painted it black. As the structure is wood instead of plastic, it gives a mu

• Gold FFM

I had the same problem, but wasn't a fan of the wood anyway. Instead of fitting plastic, I stripped the veneer off and then painted it black. As the structure is wood instead of plastic, it gives a much nicer texture and finish (imho).

Other option would be to find a woodworker craftsman to restore the panels.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

When restoring a Triumph Spitfire years ago, I was directed to a local company that re-veneered old radio cabinets.  That might be another source of a finisher for the dash...

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Daniel Rowe,

If you want to have it remade (partially or just a new veneer or new varnish or whatever) I would recommend Philippe Dehaye. He makes an extremely good job. If I had a problem with my dashboard I would give him the job without a second thought.

http://www.dehaye-boiserie-automobile.com/index.php?cat=voitures

http://www.dehaye-boiserie-automobile.com/index.php?cat=voitures&debut=10

Of course he is French (East of Paris) but a courier could be arranged, he works for a lot of foreigners too.

He happens to be a family friend, but really, I am being honest about my recommendation here. His work is great. As for his price, I don't know, you would have to ask for a quote.

Edited by Giniw
  • Like 2
On 18/11/2020 at 16:00, gvy said:

You could strip the veneer off, clean it nicely and then hydro dip it walnut. Finish of with a clearcoat and it will be as new.

Or carbonfiber or snakeskinn 😁..... endless possibilities. Google the proces if you don't know it.

I don't think it is that expensive and if you are the DIY type you could try it yourself in your bathtub....I would. I never tried it yet

spacer.png

gvy, thanks for the insight. it looks good.

On 28/11/2020 at 15:14, Giniw said:

Hi @Daniel Rowe,

If you want to have it remade (partially or just a new veneer or new varnish or whatever) I would recommend Philippe Dehaye. He makes an extremely good job. If I had a problem with my dashboard I would give him the job without a second thought.

http://www.dehaye-boiserie-automobile.com/index.php?cat=voitures

http://www.dehaye-boiserie-automobile.com/index.php?cat=voitures&debut=10

Of course he is French (East of Paris) but a courier could be arranged, he works for a lot of foreigners too.

He happens to be a family friend, but really, I am being honest about my recommendation here. His work is great. As for his price, I don't know, you would have to ask for a quote.

Giniw, appreciate the recommendation, I will take a look