free hit
counters
1979 Esprit John Player Special Restoration - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1979 Esprit John Player Special Restoration

I am going to do a complete body off restoration on a 1979 John Player Special. As the restoration goes along, I will need bits of information. My first request is.....does anyone know the weight of the body? The windshield will stay in and all the interior will be removed. Thank you.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jim there was a discussion on weight a few years back, around 200kg seemed to be a figure bandied about. 

I see you're in Alabama, Federal "JPS" #008 just left there and is back in the UK now, which car did you end up with? I have #010 up in Oregon.

3 hours ago, proracer said:

I am going to do a complete body off restoration on a 1979 John Player Special. As the restoration goes along, I will need bits of information. My first request is.....does anyone know the weight of the body? The windshield will stay in and all the interior will be removed. Thank you.

I cannot help you on the weight of the body but I look forward to following your progress, it’s something that I would like to attempt myself some day. 

3 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Welcome Jim

I look forward to progress, four people can lift the body off easily although I did mine with three it was a struggle.

Which JPS number do you have?

Dave :) 

I am restoring 1979 #4.......

• Like 1

Welcome Jim,

Big difference between bare shell and fully trimmed. For perspective, a bare door shell is flick of a single wrist light, the trimmed thing with window on board and crash beam inside is massively heavy and a full 2 arms worth. With the body shell stripped bare I found 3 able lads could manage hauling the thing from shop to trailer.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with @LOTUSMAN33 it took 4 men with a fifth passer-by helping out to help lift a body shell, which still had the windscreen, fuel tanks, rear lights, loom, some carpet installed. Came off easily and on to a dolly.

• Like 2