free hit
counters
380 Sport ... is this a sweet spot? ( Newbie alert 🚨) - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

380 Sport ... is this a sweet spot? ( Newbie alert 🚨)

EX16FUN

First time posting on here and I fear perhaps a subject that’s been covered but I have struggled to find thoughts, so hear goes ...

Having owned a yellow 350 Sport for 2 years and loved every minute of the 4600 miles I have driven, I want a little more focus and urgency from my car.

Generally, I’ll be on the road rather than track (planed for 4 this year, but hey ho!) and drove a 410 some months ago - stunner, immediacy of power and B-road composure, perhaps at a little expense of ‘comfort’ (wife’s language) and quite a different animal to the 350. Back in July, couldn’t see anything under £70k for sale so big step up from the PX of the 350.

Last week, drove 380 Sport. Not as much impact on me as the 410, but so much more composed and urgent, broader power delivery, and superb brakes compared to the 350. Pricing under £60k.

So is this a sweet spot for:

Road and occasional track use

Possibly for depreciation too -10k loss in 3 years versus 20-25k on a 410 now?

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Packing a KT460 they go like hot snot (no pun intended to green car owners 😂)................ all depends on what you buy one at. Also make sure you try and get one with the track pack too.

cheers

Steve - you’re clearly a very sensible chap with excellent observational skills. 380 has been seen as the sweet spot by many including those that have sold Exige’s new, for some time.
Go on - get yourself over to the dark side.....in the long run, it’ll be the place to be😉🏆

4FDF4EC9-57BD-4A41-90E3-AB1836E85769.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice colour-ways Stephen. 🙂
The Supercharger has so much more ‘urge’ to it as you say Mark - more excitement, but sat on the road better and felt more secure in truth.

There’s always that ‘newest/most powerful is best’ thing going on in my mind, but I find myself thinking 380 makes so much sense, but I really do want to hear other arguments to make a wise decision. 

Can I ask about your thought processes Stephen on buying the 380?

Edited by EX16FUN
Additional question
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, EX16FUN said:

Can I ask about your thought processes Stephen on buying the 380?

Ha - that’s simple....410 wasn’t available when I bought new in ‘18. I had a 350 Sport for a month (long story) before that but new my heart was in speccing a brand new Sport 380. Mine looks more Cup380 but that’s just a personal thing and all Cup’s were gone by the time I put my order in. That, and I was maxed out on the Man-Math’s and an extra £10k was a push too far. Love mine and I hope I never have to part with it👍

Personally I think the 380 Cup is the best looking of all the Exige variants ❤️ But that aside, I doubt that the extra 30hp that the 380 Sport has over the 350 is going to transform the Exige experience, so what else does it have over the 350 to make it so much more appealing and what is the price to change? Is it worth it to you, or are you better off waiting for the 410 to drop further?

Depending on the maths, are you better off going down the upgrade route on your existing car? Power, handling, cosmetics.

Strong, solid colours on the Exige work so well don’t they.

That is the conundrum really Neal H.

The 380 to me is faster, ‘squatter’ and sharper all round than the 350 ... a good 30% change - really great road set up.

The small 7 mile round trip I had in the 410 said the same things applied, but probably closer to 50-60% move forward from the 350 with the suspension set up being very focused (no experience of a CUP to compare though).

I have no experience in manually adjustable suspension (apart from Abbots Racing adjustable springs and dampers on a Saab 9000 in 1999 ... went from a Big Boat to Little boat in poise, but still a boat 😆) but really enjoy variable control in other cars (911’s, Alpha QV, Scoob’s STI, etc). So I guess that a 410 can be as road friendly as 380 and then dial in the track focus when needed?

Thoughts on modifying my 350, I guess it can have suspension, brakes and supercharger changes quite easily to outperform the 380. Last mods I did were yonks ago on an Impreza Classic (MY2000) - ECU, exhaust, etc. I then bought an STi (MY2002) and although my classic had more power, etc., the STi was simply built for purpose and massively better. I’m always concerned that upgrading an existing vehicle may never quite be as good as the next model up? Also, I do think upgrades = car stays forever as resale is often a challenge?

Edited by EX16FUN
Spelling

I have been looking at exiges a little while, 
If you don't mind bright yellow then there is a 380 sport on ebay for under 54k that I viewed, it is absolutely immaculate, still smells new and the guy selling it seems a top bloke too! although no nitrons.

I didn't buy it because looking at the price difference on the private second hand market between a 380 at 53k and a 410 that costs around 63k it makes more sense for me to go for a 410. For the extra 10k you get Nitrons, charge cooler, more power, better clutch, oil cooler and probably some other differences too. I guess my thoughts were the 410 costs less than the sum of it's parts compared to a 380.

kev

3 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Ha - that’s simple....410 wasn’t available when I bought new in ‘18. I had a 350 Sport for a month (long story) before that but new my heart was in speccing a brand new Sport 380. Mine looks more Cup380 but that’s just a personal thing and all Cup’s were gone by the time I put my order in. That, and I was maxed out on the Man-Math’s and an extra £10k was a push too far. Love mine and I hope I never have to part with it👍

What other cup bits have you done to your car? I see from your photo it has the cup spoiler.

I've fitted the bigger carbon cup side intakes to mine.  Looks loads better than the small body colour ones

Edited by Davey D

1 hour ago, tactical lizard said:

If you don't mind bright yellow then there is a 380 sport on ebay for under 54k that I viewed, it is absolutely immaculate, still smells new and the guy selling it seems a top bloke too! although no nitrons.

Cheers ... I spoke with him too, but didn’t visit. I love the yellow (current 350 is just that), but I had same thoughts as you about what a 410 offers, hence the thread.

Just been out for ‘an essential’ drive for a couple of hours and whilst brilliant fun, can’t help feeling the extra’s the 380/410 offer will increase the 😄‘S and the look of the car changes a lot, Stephen’s, Daves and GER’s  show very well.

3 hours ago, EX16FUN said:

The 380 to me is faster, ‘squatter’ and sharper all round than the 350 ... a good 30% change - really great road set up

These are still my thoughts today, but happy to hear why the 410 is the best if all worlds!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey D said:

That cup hear hatch and spoiler looks awesome.  Another step up from the regular carbon hatch.  Love the Fire Red too 🤩

Best upgrades I’ve made Davey....really happy with the new look. Will be adding some black vinyl decaling in the Spring to finish it off for the full Cup look👍

A19522BF-D11D-4D27-8F21-A4CCBDD21989.png

9 hours ago, Neal H said:

..... so what else does it have over the 350 to make it so much more appealing....

Off the top of my head my 380sport has over a 350:

Carbon font splitter

Carbon front panel

Carbon roof

Carbon barge boards 

Carbon engine cover/bootlid

Carbon spoiler

Carbon sill covers

Front bumper canards

Rear bumper corner winglets

Updated rear claim with single lights instead of double like on the 350

Carbon race seats

Forged 10 spoke wheels

Michelin cup sport 2 tyres

Lightweight brake disks with aluminium bell

Gearbox cooler

Louder exhaust 

Lightweight lithium battery

Lightweight polycarbonate window between engine and cabin

Extra 30bhp

Edited by Davey D

2 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Best upgrades I’ve made Davey....really happy with the new look. Will be adding some black vinyl decaling in the Spring to finish it off for the full Cup look👍

A19522BF-D11D-4D27-8F21-A4CCBDD21989.png

The vinyl between the roof and boot is something I've pondered on for mine,  but think it really needs to cup boot to look right.

I would like some of the black stone guards in front of the rear wheels though

I’ve got the shark-fins but haven’t fitted them yet. Going to get the vinyl between roof and rear panel, and on the front clam, between the air intakes - these areas are painted on the Cup models. All together they make the car much more aggressive looking 

Is the shark fin the body protection in front of the rear wheels?

if so mine is body coloured in Olive.

3 hours ago, Davey D said:

Off the top of my head my 380sport has over a 350:

Carbon font splitter

Carbon front panel

Carbon roof

Carbon barge boards 

Carbon engine cover/bootlid

Carbon spoiler

Carbon sill covers

Front bumper canards

Rear bumper corner winglets

Updated rear claim with single lights instead of double like on the 350

Carbon race seats

Forged 10 spoke wheels

Michelin cup sport 2 tyres

Lightweight brake disks with aluminium bell

Gearbox cooler

Louder exhaust 

Lightweight lithium battery

Lightweight polycarbonate window between engine and cabin

Extra 30bhp

Other:

larger fuel tank (48 vs 40 litres) - can be quite helpful in a v6 Exige 

above someone implies that the gearbox cooler does not come with the 380 - this is incorrect, it does 

Is that black-work at the front of the clam, paint or vinyl? 
If it’s vinyl it’s the first I’ve seen that looks as Matt as the original paint on the Cup - this is what I’m looking for👍

Lovely - but it’s crying out for a Cup rear wing.....are you planning on getting one fitted?