Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Diff drain plugs; which are compatible? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Diff drain plugs; which are compatible?

I'm looking to replace the drain plug on my diff (once I get the damn thing off!), if possible with a magnetic plug. The problem is finding what plug will fit.

Both drain and fill plug currently are the square head type which look like these ones that SJ Sportscars sell (and which they sell as drain and fill plugs).

A075R6035Z.jpg.a0327d100c5776718b84831e5bead871.jpg

My understanding is that the diff in the Elite/Eclat is a Salisbury 7HA, the same used on a Morgan and some Land Rovers. I've found a Morgan 7HA drain plug listed here which may fit, but it's not magnetic. Looking at Land Rover ones seems to be a bit if a minefield though as I'm not exactly sure which this diff was fitted to. Also, the Land Rover diffs have an inverted square head and sites seem to say that the filler and drain plugs are not the same.

Does anyone have any idea which plugs are compatible and if there's a magnetic drain plug alternative we can get for our diffs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dave,

Would it be possible to use/stick/bond a Neodymium magnet like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Rare-Magnet-Round-Disc-Magnets-Earth-Neodymium-Craft-10-1mm-N50-Grade/401007675068?epid=1163699350&hash=item5d5deb86bc:g:ONsAAOSwZuFdiJ7o

to the existing plug? That way you would not have to buy a new one

just a thought.

Roland

11 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

It's 3/4" BSPT.  Should be readily available for a couple of quid each.  I'd be OK gluing a magnet to one so long as it's counterbored first - use a good epoxy.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. Just the info I needed. Have found Land Rover Defender plugs will work, and also an interesting article on diff plugs (never thought I'd write those words!) from an E-Type forum here

I'm probably going to get a pair of these magnetic plugs: https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/land-rover-defender-magnetic-differential-diff-gearbox-drain-plug-tyb500120/.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

To remove these plugs I use the square drive end of a 1/2" drive socket by putting a short piece of hexagon bar stock into it and driving with a second socket of the same size - does that make sense?

Pete

Very good idea but unfortunately I've tried it and it's not worked. Even if I put pressure on it from the bottom, it looks like it might be lifting the diff as it pushes the socket off. I did try turning it tighter a degree or two and it did move so it's not completely seized; just nothing I have can get leverage on the rounded head. I'm thinking my two options are:

1. Get my garage to do it when they're cutting the track rod to bring alignment back into spec, possibly welding a nut onto it or something to get it off
  2. Live with it stuck on for now and do a diff oil change using my suction pump to suck the oil out of the fill hole..
Edited by soldave

31 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

You've had the stilsons out again I assume?  When stilsons are new they have very sharp teeth - do yours?

Pete

I have, and I've quickly realised my stillsons from Halfords aren't very good!

Edit: Just went out and got a good grip on the head of the plug. All it's going is pulling chips of metal out of the head which is getting more and more rounded. Think I might have to accept defeat on this one :(

Edited by soldave

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter/Dave 

Just checking the 608246 and or TYB500120 LR part is the correct part and will fit the 501 diff, fill and drain plugs?

Having trouble getting the drain plug out. Only option left is to heat it up or weld a socket onto it.  

Thanks 

Angus

8 minutes ago, Angus553 said:

Having trouble getting the drain plug out.

Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug :thumbup:

• Like 2

Cheers,

John W

The diff is on the car and fully operational. Correct level/fluid and the filler plug can easily be removed as and when(thanks JW.)

Guessing its been cross threaded at some point as its out about 4 threads where as the filler is only out about 2 threads. 

It has been tried before to get it out and ive had several goes now and its well rounded off.

• Like 1

It won't be cross-threaded - these are BSPT bungs - the "T" means tapered.  The filler hole is obviously slightly bigger than the drain hole.

Can you not get a cold chisel on the edge - especially if it has 4 threads showing.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete

yes maybe give it another go with the cold chisel.  Its really too  rounded off now for any kind of socket!! 

Reverse fitted a 1/2 inch socket and used an allen key on a 10mm spanner and a bar, and all I did was put a 30 deg bend in my spanner LOL!!

Didnt realise they were tapered that would explain it. 

I had a seatbelt mount bolt round off on my Europa Special completely and so I took a hacksaw to the rounded stump and cut it square. I then managed to clamp a tool over the new square end and with suitable levers (and a lot of swearing) it eventually budged - probably never been moved in fifty years - all now replaced with new items :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well it seems the 'cold steel' ala Cpl Jones has done the trick. Used the cold chisel and moved it round about 1 cm so wont touch it anymore until the LR 608246 diff plugs arrive. Thanks Pete, gave it a bit more welly this time and it moved, before obviously didnt whack it hard enough as didnt want to damage the plug incase it didnt budge and only started leaking instead.

• Like 2