free hit
counters
elite on excel chassis - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi All ,

How common is the elite onto excel conversion . I visited Lotus bits last week as i am looking to get back in the game , Mr Taylor was very generous with his time as always , and said that he has done the conver alot . I have searched and could not find any pic or details of completed cars . Are these owners not on the forum or shy ? . Has anyone got a picture of the above conversion with the latest se oz wheels ? . This is the look i am going for , I think 

Thanks 

Lee

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t think the backbone itself is wider, but the fibreglass does need cutting away under the rear seats so that the suspension arms can be accessed. I believe that there are also some minor changes

Hi, To see what I had to do to fit my Elite body onto an Excel chassis see "Elite Body to Excel Chassis clashes revealed" posted by me on August 21, 2017 in Projects & Restorations https

18 minutes ago, lee glennon said:

Hi All ,

How common is the elite onto excel conversion . I visited Lotus bits last week as i am looking to get back in the game , Mr Taylor was very generous with his time as always , and said that he has done the conver alot . I have searched and could not find any pic or details of completed cars . Are these owners not on the forum or shy ? . Has anyone got a picture of the above conversion with the latest se oz wheels ? . This is the look i am going for , I think 

Thanks 

Lee

Hi Lee,

Mine is one of these. I chose to retain the Elite look as much as possible by using 14" Speedlines from an early Excel. I don't think Oz wheels would look right on an Elite, but each to their own. Apart from looking underneath, there isn't much to say that these cars are different!

Cheers, Richard

Hi @lee glennon if you have a really good eye for detail, you may spot that the wheels aren't quite central to the wheel arches, the Elite body is set for a slightly shorter wheelbase than an Excel. It's only a couple of inches and you'd probably only notice it if somebody pointed it out and the image was perfectly side-on to the car.

If I recall correctly, the Elite body will need much cutting in the rear passenger area due to the wider backbone on the Excel chassis. 🙂

It's getting there......

thanks for the replys chaps . I will update on my search for a car . I am really kickingg  myself for for selling the cars . I sold the last one , a reasonably good car that ran but just needed recoming . It was a late k reg excel se and i sold it for 3and a half grand .

Regards 

Lee

On 10/11/2020 at 19:24, andydclements said:

Hi @lee glennon if you have a really good eye for detail, you may spot that the wheels aren't quite central to the wheel arches, the Elite body is set for a slightly shorter wheelbase than an Excel. It's only a couple of inches and you'd probably only notice it if somebody pointed it out and the image was perfectly side-on to the car.

Are you sure? Graham Robson in The Third Generation Lotuses shows the wheelbase on Elite and Excel identical at 8 ft 1.8 inches.

Cheers, Richard

23 hours ago, TAR said:

If I recall correctly, the Elite body will need much cutting in the rear passenger area due to the wider backbone on the Excel chassis. 🙂

I don’t think the backbone itself is wider, but the fibreglass does need cutting away under the rear seats so that the suspension arms can be accessed. I believe that there are also some minor changes needed for body/chassis mountings.

cheers, Richard

• Like 1

Personally I don’t like these Frankenstein conversions but I understand that the Excel is easier to maintain. i also think the OZ will not suit the appearance but it is your car then... 

iirc the track is different to the earlier cars and affect the handling a bit

Hi,

To see what I had to do to fit my Elite body onto an Excel chassis see "Elite Body to Excel Chassis clashes revealed" posted by me on August 21, 2017 in Projects & Restorations

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/90693-elite-body-to-excel-chassis-clashes-revealed/?tab=comments#comment-737072

Brian

• Like 1
On 11/11/2020 at 19:38, rjwooll said:

Are you sure? Graham Robson in The Third Generation Lotuses shows the wheelbase on Elite and Excel identical at 8 ft 1.8 inches.

Cheers, Richard

I thought that when I looked at one at Lotusbits, one axle had the wheels were off-centre in the arches, looking at one online set of specs there's supposedly c50mm difference, looking at another just 2mm difference, so don't know what is right.

My service notes say 2483mm wheelbase for both the Excel and the Elite/Eclat.  The track is different - Excel 1460mm or 1479mm depending on wheel fitment,  Elite front - 1486mm, rear - 1499mm.

Pete

interesting , need to see a complete car in the flesh to make call . I will visit mike at lotus bits and ask him . I have secured a car once the lock down has finished . And today when speaking to a mate about something completely unrelated , he mentioned an elite s1 that has been sat at his farm only 10 miles away from my home . I am looking at it tomorrow . I think the idea of later oz wheels came from a book i had that showed a section on lotus bits . It showed a yellow s1 eclat with oz wheels i think , has anyone got this book ? .

regards 

lee