free hit
counters
Can you determine the donor car / spec of Dellorto carbs by their ID tags? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Can you determine the donor car / spec of Dellorto carbs by their ID tags?

All US Elites came with Stromberg carburetors. My 1974, however, has Dellortos.  From where they came, I have no idea.  The stamp in the casting says "DHLA45" with no letter after it. (Were all non-turbo Lotus Dellortos "DLHA45E"?).  The ID tags are 5381 & 5382 (A & P).

I'm working on a bit of a sputter at low revs & it would help if I knew the starting point of the carbs. I know there were several different Lotus specs, and that those specs were different from those of other manufactures. I believe the ID tag on the float chamber says for which car/engine it was originally setup.

With that - is it possible to tell if my Dellortos are a Lotus spec?  If so, which spec?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the Googlers, I got a little more info from Dellorto.co.uk (thanks for the suggestion, John), so I'll add it here to spread the knowledge:  

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/ are the UK experts, they may be able to help if you drop them a line 😀

This might help

Posted Images

Thanks Dan - that does help to some degree.   I know, now, that these aren't Lotus carbs. 

From your image, I was able to find a pdf of the book you've got: 

http://www.vintagegarage.ru/files/Fuel/Dellorto_calibration_table.pdf

... but, unfortunately, it doesn't list 5381 or 5382, so original source, and therefore original calibration is unknown. 

I suppose that means I'm left to pulling it apart to see what's in it. I sense another project in the making.  :) 

From my research, it appears that the Lotus "Spec 5" setup is the best starting point. Not an inexpensive target if I end up having to replace everything!

For the record, I just went back to the car to double-check the ID tags and noticed that there is actually a faint "D" stamped next to the "DHLA45" casting, so these are DHLA45D's.  Maybe they are Lotus after all?  research continues...

Edited by BrianK

HA! Found it.

In the Dellorto Carburetor section of the Esprit Workshop manual, they show the tag numbers (oddly, in the Elite Workshop manual, they don't):

Dellorto_page.png.b7267ef05627216a7e7d933a94920b6b.png

So my carbs are from a high-compression (?) Excel, which is a "Spec 10".  

• Like 1