free hit
counters
Rear Suspension issue...! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just taking the rear left suspension apart, having shown signs of many traffic light starts by previous owner prior to 1980 when the car was last on the road.  Bearing exploded when hub carrier gently pulled, radius arm rubber mount separating and kind of oval in the center, rear spring top insulator also badly worn, UV joints also showing signs of wear.  Then I came across this...  The collar (?) on the shaft has split. and broken away.  How to fix?  

IMG_3168.jpeg.eb32c1a58841ba64bde9bafcc160d1cd.jpegIMG_3165.jpeg.0113f1bbf2a245efcd88050db6d5bd2c.jpeg 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Use a bearing separator & a hydraulic press  to get that off, I put the new bearing in the freezer over night & the hub in  the oven for easy reassembly 

I pulled the piece on the shaft of yesterday.  Now for the bits in the hub carrier.  SJ for parts. 

I used a hammer & cold chisel but a press would be much easier. If you don't have one take it round to your nearest workshop, they'll press it out for a few bucks. As I said previously reassembly

Posted Images

I think I've just realized what this is...  it's in inner race of the bearing.  The outer is still in the hub carrier....

Hallo Whiskybob,

The same happened to me in 2017. I pulled the axe out and the inner part of the bearing stayed inside, the outer part came out.

We had a nice discussion on the forum about the fact if that bearing could be reused. Some were certain this was unthinkable, Some ( I ) thought it would be no problem. I cleaned and inspected the bearing and regreased and put everything back toghether and uptil now all has been fine.

Here is the link to that discussion. May be interesting for you: Please go directly to the post of 2 january 2017 and the following posts . The first earlier posts mean nothing.

The inner race of the bearing exists out of two parts ( it is build like that ) and when pulling one part releases. While the outer race ( one part) just stays in the hub. I looked at it for hours and in the end I was sure , I just could build that unobtainable bearing back after cleaning and regreasing.....simply because that is the way the bearing was put toghether in the first place ( factory). Of course , if you see that the bearing is damaged or degraded, you should replace it.

Edited by gvy

Hi Geert, I seem to remember something about your post.  Personally, judging by the amount of wear related to everything on this left rear and the fact that it was crabbing along when pushed the car before I bought it, I'm thinking of being safe with this one for now and replacing all worn/wearable parts.  I suspect that the PO either hit something which caused the damage or had too many fast starts, either way this car hadn't moved since 1980 before I bought it.  

By the by, I'm figuring that if I clean up the hub carrier as much as possible and then heat it to 200 the bearing is going to be a lot easier to pull/drop out...? 

I remember , I just left the outer part of the bearing inside the hub, never tried to remove it.

I cleaned and greased it and put it all back toghether inside the hub.  Did it on both sides

I wrote this about it :

Have you looked closely how these double row bearings are made? It is a double row  angular contact ball bearing

The outer ring is one cilinder piece.

The inner ring is a two piece split innerring, hold together in the center with a thin U shaped metal piece that fits in a small groove in each of the two inner ring parts.

To make the bearing, they have put the rollers in a plastic cage in each of the two parts and put them in at each side of the outer cilinder. To fix the two inner rings, the small U shaped metal piece is inserted and clipsed

If I took a new bearing and clips out the central part, I could take out the pieces you see in my picture, without breaking a thing.

Ones this bearing sits in place over an axe, there is no way the two inner halves can be separated, because the clipsed metal piece also sits on the axe pushed in and cannot come out. But when pulling with great force the bearing of the axe, the moment that one halve is of but the other still on the axe, it can indeed release, as I had.

You are right. Mine was intact.... I don't know....

tbh, In that case I would replace it, but I remember this has become a difficult to find bearing and expensive.

that collar is there on both inner race halves, so that the black clip hold them toghether

Edited by gvy

The one you will need is SKF BA2B 417308.

Good luck finding one. I once saw one available on ebay and bought it , but I keep it as a spare, because I am sure I may have to replace one in the coming years

may be here??? http://www.heuristik-communication.com/18517-SKFBA2B417308-Bearing/

Edited by gvy

I pulled the piece on the shaft of yesterday.  Now for the bits in the hub carrier.  SJ for parts. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, whiskybob said:

Now for the bits in the hub carrier. 

I used a hammer & cold chisel but a press would be much easier. If you don't have one take it round to your nearest workshop, they'll press it out for a few bucks. As I said previously reassembly is much easier if the bearing has been in the freezer & the carrier the oven. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk