free hit
counters
2bular lightweight system - yet another exhaust thread.... - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

2bular lightweight system - yet another exhaust thread....

...but trust me, I did search and couldn't find any answers!

It seems that when people opt for a 2bular aftermarket solution they either go for the track option (380/410 owners) or the valved one. So my question is, has anyone gone for the - back to basics, straight forward - non valved design?

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/exige-v6-non-valved-70mm-track-system

I've got an V6 CUP and the OEM system gets me in most tracks so no issue there. Being handy with the spanner I wouldn't mind swapping over to it when on a track day but for the good old weekend blast I'd like to give that V6 motor the drama it deserves. I'm a bit reluctant to fit a 380 exhaust (another valved, heavy system with weird size piping) - very much prefer the above 2bular back box, plain, light, 'simple' and well made.

Problem is that I'm not familiar with its noise levels, would the exhaust be WAY too much that would make a motorway journey intolerable? We go to the Alps every year so this is quite important for me.

I had an email exchange with Jim already - admittedly not an extended one - and he reassured me that there is no drone as such which is good, but does anyone know how the noise levels compare with let's say the original V6 exhaust with open valve?

Thanks

Yiannis    

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a little confused by road / track versions on this so to clarify, I have the non-valved lightweight (smaller) silencer: https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/exige-v6-non-valved-70mm-track-system

Hey you crazy Greek!    That was the exhaust I had on the Cup before I put the 380 exhaust on.  It was a nice exhaust but not much louder than the OEM.  Non-valved 70mm version. I think at t

Just to confuse us all further, mine is definitely the third option as I measured the silencer before fitting it (200mm x 125mm x 560mm) but it has welded carbon tips that are not adjustable...

Posted Images

Depends on the revs also but when cruising for longer rides you will have a louder system but to me not intolerable. I had the 2Bular valveless and now the 2Bular valved. In hinesite I appreciated the valveless for its deeper louder sound but, when the valve works, it is now very convenient on rides where you just are not looking for the loudness. Usually I like the loud system but cruising there is no benefit nor fun with a loud exhaust imo. 

Hope this might contribute in your choices. 

I recently fitted the lightweight track 2bular silencer on my car replacing the OEM valved system (2014 Exige V6S with TVS1900 supercharger). It has a deeper / bassier sound than the OEM system but is not significantly louder on the motorway or when cruising. The main difference is at full throttle when it is louder and has a more defined tone, so louder when you want to hear it. You also get a much clearer crackle on deceleration / overrun which adds to the theatre.

I have no problem doing longer trips with this exhaust and am planning on touring Scotland next June with it. 

Many thanks @PJ. When you say valveless are you actually talking about the the system above (link) or the track version? What made you switch?

@rmaurer thanks for your input Ross - but I was actually looking for the lightweight road version and not the track.

I ideally want some feedback from people who have or had this lightweight "loud" system so as to get an idea of real life noise levels. Whilst the valved systems count on the different diameter pipes and valves to keep the noise down with no main restrictions in the loud path, the straightforward systems need to be engineered in a way that they won't drone or shout but only produce the aural satisfying notes when needed i.e. throttle application.

I've got an Akrapovic Evo on my other car (Clio 197) and you can't even tell on motorway speeds (even with the close ratio box, laboring the engine at nearly 4k [email protected]) but go on the throttle and the magic happens. If concept is similar on this case then I won't have any thoughts at all parting with my hard earned.

1 hour ago, MrD said:

@rmaurer thanks for your input Ross - but I was actually looking for the lightweight road version and not the track.

I'm a little confused by road / track versions on this so to clarify, I have the non-valved lightweight (smaller) silencer: https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/exige-v6-non-valved-70mm-track-system

Jim then lists a Track/Road non-valved system with a larger silencer: https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/70mm-non-valved-trackroad-system

I have the smaller, lightweight (louder) option that I find perfectly usable on longer journeys etc.

Edited by rmaurer
  • Like 1

Now we are talking - thanks Ross.

This is the bad boy then, glad to hear good feedback. I can see that you are not far away from me (I live in Camden - London), any chance we could meet up to have a listen when things settle? 

No the road version probably similar as to Ross. I wanted the tail pipes to come out more and these were welded. I also hoped for a better sound but you should then better upgrade your manifold and sport cat. 

Thanks @PJ good to know, how long did you keep the lightweight system for? Would you be so kind to describe the difference in sound between the valveless and the valved when on open? I suppose it's difficult to try and describe a sound - especially when it's something so subjective. I guess I'm looking for some basic characteristics, and given that I know how the valved sounds, I'd be able to kind of compare, if that makes sense:)

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Yiannis  

Hey you crazy Greek! 

That was the exhaust I had on the Cup before I put the 380 exhaust on.  It was a nice exhaust but not much louder than the OEM.  Non-valved 70mm version. I think at the time it was for road. 

I know now you still want to do track days, so perhaps the best solution.

You  know this, but real men buy the valved 2bular or 380/410 exhaust😀

Edited by Schnitzel
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, MrD said:

Now we are talking - thanks Ross.

This is the bad boy then, glad to hear good feedback. I can see that you are not far away from me (I live in Camden - London), any chance we could meet up to have a listen when things settle? 

Sure, happy to meet up and let you have a listen when permitted. 

Just saw PJs comments on the tail pipe length, they are quite short and I agree they could extend further out as they are fairly tucked away under the diffuser... 

Quick photo as my garage is only a few metres from the sofa! 

image.jpg

@rmaurer I'm not jealous of your garage at all, not one bit🤥 Pipe length look spot on to my eyes in all honestly, wouldn't like them to be further out but I guess this is personal preference. I'll pm you when things allow a meet up then to arrange something, thanks Ross.

But not sure about you chaps but I'm totally confused here.

There are currently 3 valveless variables on 2bular website.

- A dedicated "quiet" track system

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/quiet-performance-track-system

- A track/road system which is below 105 db. 

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/70mm-non-valved-trackroad-system

-A "loud" system as Jim describes it with a small silencer which makes it totally unsuitable for the UK track market, used for the Lotus Cup Europe and super light due to lack of packing materials (apparently the same weight as the Titanium OEM solution). Rich, is this the one you had? @Schnitzel

The one I'm interested in is the third, the bad a$$ loud one which apparently has adjustable tail pipes? Not welded like @PJ 's.

I think a call to 2bular is on order...

1 hour ago, MrD said:

The one I'm interested in is the third, the bad a$$ loud one which apparently has adjustable tail pipes? Not welded like @PJ 's.

Just to confuse us all further, mine is definitely the third option as I measured the silencer before fitting it (200mm x 125mm x 560mm) but it has welded carbon tips that are not adjustable...

• Confused 1
13 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

You  know this, but real men buy the valved 2bular or 380/410 exhaust😀

Wow, what makes me then; driving around with straight pipes 😉.  If you look for "noise levels", need to also replace the manifolds to real headers.

Edited by Kristof Thys
  • Like 1

@rmaurer Damn, it's getting all complicated now, the only thing I can think of is that Jim must have changed the design. But glad to know it's the third option, I can't wait to have a listen!

@Kristof Thys you on straight pipes are a real man +1 mate 😀 I'm certainly not looking into the header option though, even though I appreciate that it must add an extra level of drama (and power perhaps). But price incl labour involved is prohibited. I just need to spicy up the existing noise outputs to allow for some ear caressing moments with the car - currently my fully de-cat high rev Akrapovic'd 4 pot 200bhp Clio sounds better, we desperately need to change this now don't we? :D    

Tried to sort this out with Jim previously but man..... 

If you want his exhaust back box just go for the valved road or non valved lightweight and save you some headache. A smaller back box should result in more noise but the noise to look for to me is in the pitch. 

11 hours ago, MrD said:

@rmaurer I'm not jealous of your garage at all, not one bit🤥 Pipe length look spot on to my eyes in all honestly, wouldn't like them to be further out but I guess this is personal preference. I'll pm you when things allow a meet up then to arrange something, thanks Ross.

But not sure about you chaps but I'm totally confused here.

There are currently 3 valveless variables on 2bular website.

- A dedicated "quiet" track system

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/quiet-performance-track-system

- A track/road system which is below 105 db. 

https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/70mm-non-valved-trackroad-system

-A "loud" system as Jim describes it with a small silencer which makes it totally unsuitable for the UK track market, used for the Lotus Cup Europe and super light due to lack of packing materials (apparently the same weight as the Titanium OEM solution). Rich, is this the one you had? @Schnitzel

This is the one I had https://www.2bular.co.uk/exige-s-v6/exige-v6-non-valved-70mm-track-system